Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....just about ready to put the cab in place after moving the body mounts back ~16" I'm seeing that I may need a 1" body lift (or just raise my body mounts up) to clear the frame -or- notch the base of the cab to get it work. The 4runner frame starts rising at this point where the Xcab frame does not.

Just thought I'd splash a little tech out there for ya ;)

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Hey Chris, I'm actually going to be doing the opposite of you, putting a 1st gen. 4 runner body/tub on to my '85 longbed frame (same frame as an Xtra cab) I know I have to use a 4 runner gas tank since it's lower profile and cut out the rear wheel wells quite a bit but l would be interested in how it will all line up, any suggestions/tips you can give me or any other problems you forsee for me? Thanks in advance
Jeff

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek: I actually thought about that last night while starring at mine.

#1 your frame is to long, but I'm sure you knew that.
#2 instead of chopping out the fenders you would need to raise the body mounts to make it all sit level wouldn't ya? tpying out loud here..lol
#3 that sounds like a helluva lot of work for a 4runner IMO. The wiring that goes to the rear is WAY more than I thought when I removed it all. But the same has been told to me as well.

Other than time, I think you got all the little things pegged that I had no clue about.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
yea, I know I have to redo the rear body mounts and cut the rear of the frame a little...is the rear wiring really that bad or is there just a lot of it?? it's either dealing with that or doing all the work to transfer my motor, drivetrain, suspension, all my custom mounts etc. which seems like a lot more work to me than the cab swap!!
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I would have know, I would have kept my 4runner stuff for you to splice into your PU harness. :(

It's not bad, just a lot more than I thought it would be.

Before my swap started, I debated on buying a truck and swping over my drivetrain, but the cab swap IMO is much much easier. Just take your time and take lots of pics. I hope to have the cab in place this weekend and the front clip attached :D I'll post more pics as it develops.

Attachments

·
I'm a little angel
22,080 Posts
Yeah, well - if you end up not needing this part, I could use it... cause my shit is rusted out. I just need this part all the way across... that is all, no big deal, you won't miss it.

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Entropy said:
Yeah, well - if you end up not needing this part, I could use it... cause my shit is rusted out. I just need this part all the way across... that is all, no big deal, you won't miss it.
Sent one in better shape to the scrapper this past summer :( hindsight is 20/20 eh??

·
I'm a little angel
22,080 Posts
Bones said:

Sent one in better shape to the scrapper this past summer :( hindsight is 20/20 eh??
When I was visiting my dad in Florida, I found a rust free cab in near perfect condition... well the part I needed anyway.

I bought one of my dads trucks while I was there, so I had a pickup bed to use on the way back... I asked the guy "How much for rear-lower portion of the cab all the way across?" "I want from the back window down - and up to about halfway up the doors."

He says "150 and we will cut it off..."

This seemed a little high to me considering that was about the only part of the cab in near perfect condition... but I need it so...

We get out there and my buddy is looking at the other side of the cab, and he says "This side is probably the better of the two, but that side doesn't look bad..." and the wrecker was like "Oh, you want BOTH sides... that'll be double."

My buddy and I looked at each other like "Whatthehellhesay?" and the guy was like "I can only go off of the information you give me sir, I can't read your mind..."

We left... I am still looking for a cheap solution.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey Bones, Have ya thought about moving the front body mounts back as well? It would gain ya some tire to fire wall clearance with out tubing. Granted you couldnt go very far without pully to radiator issues but a couple of inches mite be nice. As long as your there!

CJ

Edit- I just went back and looked at your pics and I see your front shackles go through the frame insted of under like mine. That would make what I was talkin about a little more involved. doable but more work.

·
Registered
964 Posts
KING K5 said:
yea, I know I have to redo the rear body mounts and cut the rear of the frame a little...is the rear wiring really that bad or is there just a lot of it??
KingK5! Ummm you need to do more than the rear body mounts and the end of the frame trimming. Your frame is a long wheelbase (112.2") and the runner is a short wheelbase (102.95") You will have to cut and reweld it to make it work, which is doable, but more work than this quote indicates you realize.
Just trying to help and prevent those "uh-ohs" :eek:
I have all the drawings so if there is anything else you need, just email or reply here!
Bud

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Bud. Any first hand knowledge on my body lift dilema? Don;t realy want one, but....

·
Registered
725 Posts
budr said:

KingK5! Ummm you need to do more than the rear body mounts and the end of the frame trimming. Your frame is a long wheelbase (112.2") and the runner is a short wheelbase (102.95") You will have to cut and reweld it to make it work, which is doable, but more work than this quote indicates you realize.
Just trying to help and prevent those "uh-ohs" :eek:
I have all the drawings so if there is anything else you need, just email or reply here!
Bud

Hey Bud, King K5 is my brother so I am gonna reply for him. I know he would love to have those drawings. You can e-mail them to me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
964 Posts
Bones said:
Hey Bud. Any first hand knowledge on my body lift dilema? Don;t realy want one, but....
CAZ did this as have many others but I can't remember what he did. I have emailled him and will post when i hear back or maybe he will. I'd trim the body for sure, rather than the BL. Tho, a 1" BL isn't bad, I run one on the blue truck.

This has been discussed here before too, so a search might help. Not to be "piratey" about it! :)

CAZ body swap

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I emailed CAZ Monday. Haven't heard back yet.

I found(using the search Monday) that a 1" BL was REQUIRED for this particular swap. Then the more I stared at it last night I saw where/why it was needed. I'm still opting for the cab trimming anyway since there is a hole in my floor from some previous drug runner :cool:

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
KING K5, if you need any of the 4runner wiring I have everything for the rear, both sides, complete that you can have for the cost of shipping. Btw it's from an 84 4runner. All I did was unplug everything and pull it out of the gromets.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks Bud!!

Flimmy, I do not know if he is going to need it. I think the 4Runner body that he is getting already has the wiring. If it does not already have it, then yes, we will want it. We will let you know. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts