Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
old transmission is craping out need new one but dont know what transmissons work for an 85 4-runner anybody know please tell me
thanks
mike :confused:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I am assuming you have a manual. I am pretty sure this is a G52. If you have a little extra cash, call Marlin. 559-25-CRAWL

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
85 4Runners use a W56-A transmission. You can install either the W56-A or W56-B. These can be found in 1985-1988 EFI Pickup and 4Runner. This is an easy bolt in deal. Other transmissions including the G series and W56-C and W56-D can be used but these will require some changes in the transmission shifter position.

Marlin Crawler has rebuilt W56 transmissions for your application for $799

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I've got an 81 pickup and it was on it's 3rd "generic" rebuild transmission.. Massive bearing noise and eventually the main bearing failed and started to pop out of gear.

I got rebuilt HD version from Marlin.. It wasn't cheap, but I bet it will be lasting longer than the other 3 that were in my truck.. The 85 tranny is a better tranny - still - see Marlin, I think it's money well spent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info
thinking taht since i need a new transmission that i should just do an engine swap to a v6. ive heard it is easy. havent done any reasearch yet, any input.
mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts