Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends neighbor has an early 60's CJ5, I think it's a willy's CJ5 actually. But he rebuilt the hurricane V6 and he was telling me it came with a 3spd and he wanted to find a 4spd that would bolt up as well as a transfer case that would center the rear diff becausew he swapped in scout axles. Any ideas? I think he said his orig. tranny was a T-90??? and his transfer case was a spicer 18.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
the T-98 was the a factory 4-spd very rare to find, the 420 might be a batter choice, you could get a dana 300 to bolt using a novack or a AA adapter that would center your drive shaft, jason.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You could also use the T-18/Dana 20 combo used in 70s era Jeeps. The T-18 is the follow-on for the T-98 and is very similar.

By the way, the V6 was called the Dauntless, the Hurricane was the name for the 4 cylinder F-head engine. The flat head 6 was the Super Hurricane.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does he have any other tranny options? Seems like this engine is fairly rare and he wanted to be different so he rebuilt it, and got a great deal on some scout axles so he wants to use those. I;m guessing the block isn't the same as the later buick V6's??

·
Registered
883 Posts
brian83 said:
So does he have any other tranny options? Seems like this engine is fairly rare and he wanted to be different so he rebuilt it, and got a great deal on some scout axles so he wants to use those. I;m guessing the block isn't the same as the later buick V6's??
Actually the block is very similar to the later Buick V6s. Buick reintroduced the V6 with a larger bore in 1975 (went from 225 cid to 231 cid) and the changed from odd-fire (like your friend's) to even fire in mid 1976 or 1977. Many parts are interchangeable between the different versions, many are not.

The SM-420 and the T-98/T-18 are probably the most popular tranny swaps if you want a low first gear. If you just want a newer fully synchronized 4 speed, look into the Saginaw and Muncie 4 speeds from GM. The T-98/T-18 from a Jeep or Scout will have the correct adapter to bolt to a Dana 18 or 20 already. You'll need to adapt any of the others. The GM transmissions are ready to bolt to the Buick bellhousing, though the T-18 isn't that hard to adapt. Look at Novak's web page (http://www.novak-adapt.com) for more informations about the Buck V6 and the various transmission options.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
brian83 said:
225 oddfires's are still pretty common but any Buick 231 or 3.8L V6 from a rear wheel drive car will bolt up to your junk. As for transmissions, a newer SM465 would probably be easier to find than an SM420.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, well he actually has a D20 from a scout sitting in his garage that he would like to use, and finding a T-18 from a scout shouldn't be too hard, so that solves tranny and t-case. Last question, is there a bellhousing he can use from a junkyard to adapt the t-18 to the v-6 or will he need one from AA or Novak? I looked at the websites and didn't see one but I might have missed it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
yeah, I believe any 60 degree bellhousing will work. 90 degree is the 4.3L GM V-6. Most JY's will have various flavors lying about. But what you need to think about before you by is what type of actuation means you will need. Cable will allow you to keep the floor-mounted pedals you have now, while hydro clutch requires some surgery to fit. Plus you need replacement pedal candidates. I suggest the ladder from experience, but that is the road less traveled. the through-floor pedals have a tendancy to twist under frame loading and catch and wear unevenly. that will effect the bellhousing you choose.

There are also lots of threads offering info on what to do with that era jeep depending on what you intend to do with it. If you want a crawler with big tires/wheels, think serious structural frame mods or frame replacement. If you want to run 31's and be done with it, the stock rig is fine.

goodly luck -
Geesh

·
Registered
883 Posts
Geesh said:
yeah, I believe any 60 degree bellhousing will work. 90 degree is the 4.3L GM V-6.
This is incorrect. The rear wheel drive Buick V6 is a 90 degree V6 and uses the BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) bellhousing like the V8s from those divisions. Almost any passenger car with one of those nameplates, with a V8 and a manual transmission, manufactured between say 1965 and 1980 will have the correct one.

Only the later front wheel drive Buick V6s use the 60 degree bellhousing bolt pattern.

·
Registered
883 Posts
brian83 said:
ok, well he actually has a D20 from a scout sitting in his garage that he would like to use, and finding a T-18 from a scout shouldn't be too hard, so that solves tranny and t-case. Last question, is there a bellhousing he can use from a junkyard to adapt the t-18 to the v-6 or will he need one from AA or Novak? I looked at the websites and didn't see one but I might have missed it.
The Jeep T-18 is a better bet than one from a Scout. The Scout was only offered with T-18s with the 4:1 first gear (larger IHC trucks DID use the 6.32:1 version). Jeeps were offered with both the 4:1 and the preferred 6.32:1 first gear. You will need to have the input bearing retainer turned down to the bore diameter of the BOP bellhousing. Jeep, IHC and Ford all use a larger bore than GM uses in its passenger cars. You will also need to drill/tap the bellhousing to match the T-18 bolt pattern. And you may need to get an input shaft for the T-18 to provide the correct length as Jeep and IHC used many different lengths and most of them are too long.

When Jeep put a T-98/T-18 in CJs early on, they used an adapter between the trans and the bellhousing. They also used an adapter when bolting to a V6 in J-trucks. Then they used a long input shaft to make up for it. When they used a T-18 and a 258 6 cylinder, they eliminated the adapter and bolted the T-18 right to the bellhousing. This is the input shaft you want. The other source for it would be from a Ford T-18 as they never used an adapter.

What I have done for my CJ is this. I have a later even-fire 4.1 liter Buick V6 (1981-84) and a bellhousing from AA (part #712583, ~$325) that has BOP on the engine side and Ford on the trans side. I have a Ford T-18 from a 2WD truck with the main shaft and adapter plate from a Scout or Jeep swapped in. The reason for the Ford T-18 is the Jeep trans-to-bell pattern is unusual and requires a special clutch throw out arm due to interference with one of the bolt heads. Also, I didn't need to have the input bearing retainer turned down and had the correct input shaft length without any swapping.

I'm going to run the model 18 transfer case so I can also run a Warn Overdrive, but I could do either.

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If you decided to go with the T-18, you would need one that has the Ford input shaft. The shaft length is the same as the Buick.
I did this about 2 years ago.
I had built 1 tranny out of 2 doners
One was a 2 wheel drive Ford with 6.32 to 1 first and the other was 4.00 to 1 Jeep tranny
I used the Ford 2 wheel drive housing/input/ and gears.
Drilled and tapped the back side of the housing to mount the Texas style Dana 20 adaptor plate.
The 2 upper bell housing mounts are correct and the lowers are off a little (need to drill and tap)
Rebuilt the tranny with the Ford internals and Jeep output.
Went together easier than it sounded.
You would need a special Pilot bushing and a Ford clutch disc.
Novac has the Pilot bushings and they have full rebuild kits with instructions for close to $140.00. The cost for the 2 main bearings usually go for close to $100.00 so the rebuild kit is worth the cost
Hope this helps.
Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts