Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a free 88 bronco 2 from my grandpa it is in really nice shape and i want to convert it to 4wd...is it possible to use a eb d44 for the front when i do the conversion? what else do i need

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
when converting to 4x, you can use just about any axle you want. i dont know about the length of an eb axle, and i dont know the length of the bronco II rear axle, but those are two things to keep in mind. you'll need a transfer case, either a np205 or 203, or borg warner 1356 or 1345--just something with a driver side output. you'll also need to keep in mind where you want to mount springs and shocks. you'll also need a track bar. another thing to keep in mind is the crossmember where the ttb axles are bolted on to. you'll want high enough springs so that the axle clears this crossmember. then you'll need rear leaves to match the front height. you'll probably need a new rear drive shaft, as well as a front driveshaft. you'll have to rig up a break system, and a steering system that will be compatible with the bronco setup. another thing to worry about is gear ratios in the diffs--they need to be the same.

hopefully you have enough free time and money to take on a project like this. good luck

·
Registered
701 Posts
Special Ed said:
i got a free 88 bronco 2 from my grandpa it is in really nice shape and i want to convert it to 4wd...is it possible to use a eb d44 for the front when i do the conversion? what else do i need

yes the EB axle is the correct width for the front you can use your spring towers and shock mounts to start with , will need to fab a track bar mount and get some radius arm brackets from a 79 bronco . you can use part or your steering and match it to the EB axle all this can be done as a bolt in the only welding is the track mount fabrication :D

oh and your 2 wheel drive B2 should have a dummy case in it ,id get a explorer transfer case 1354 i believe and that will bolt right up to your tranny .

if i missed any ,someone chime in :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
Re: Re: 4wd to 2wd conversion

alx said:

if i missed any ,someone chime in :flipoff2:
IMO just buy an EB, take the body off, and put the B2 body on

·
Registered
701 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 4wd to 2wd conversion

welndmn said:

IMO just buy an EB, take the body off, and put the B2 body on

after all is said and done thats what i should have done :rolleyes:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok this is very helpful...also i want to run 33's how many inches of lift should i run? i heard that the front will be 2 inches higher then the back...so if i run 4 inches of lift in the back run 2 of lift in the front...am i right? the X t/c is it electric shift or how does it work? i want floor shifted...and i want it to look like its sposed to be there

·
Registered
182 Posts
Special Ed said:
ok this is very helpful...also i want to run 33's how many inches of lift should i run? i heard that the front will be 2 inches higher then the back...so if i run 4 inches of lift in the back run 2 of lift in the front...am i right? the X t/c is it electric shift or how does it work? i want floor shifted...and i want it to look like its sposed to be there
I think the lift is the opposite...4 in the front and 2 in the back. In my opinion, you should sell it and buy and EB with the money (or even another BII 4x4). It would save you alot of work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it doesnt have but 51k miles on it...and i would do a solid front axle swap anyways, so i figured might as well convert it over...i knew u guys on here would steer me right

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
A BroncoII (unlike a Ranger) is about the easiest 2WD I know of to convert. Theres no point in selling it off for a 4x4 one:rolleyes:

As mentioned by alx, the 2WD B2 has a "dummy" transfer case (I do not know why Ford used it, I can only guess it must've been cheaper to have one trans/driveshaft for all B2s).
After removing the dummy, a regular Explorer/Ranger BW1354 T-case bolts right to where the dummy was. Manual lever shift ones are available, but a bit rare. A manual shift BW1350 might be easier to find (out of earlier Ranger/B2s). Its basically the same T-case, but has a different front output configuration. Just make sure you get the shifter and floorplate/boot with it.
Although you won't NEED a new rear driveshaft, I would suggest replacing it if its the funky CV style one. These are weak compared to a standard double-cardan type.

The Explorer Dana35 front axle is also a bolt-in and is plenty beefy with a couple upgrades. You will need to replace one axle bracket (unless you lift it, which replaces both brackets anyway).

If you're one that believes the twin-beam front axle isn't strong or flexy, then the early Bronco Dana44 is your best bet. Alx pretty much defined whats involved with this swap.
Going this way will also require a rear axle change to match the lug pattern of the eB axle (you can't convert the eB axle to the B2 lug pattern). There are several easy options here, one of which is using the eB 9 rear axle.

As for lift, run as little as you can and trim the fenders for tire clearance. 33s wont need a whole lot of trimming to clear at 4" lift.
You'll need at least 6" lift to get the diff to clear the engine crossmember if you use the eB D44 axle, though. You may not need to trim at 6" lift for 33s.

Hope that helps;)

Do you have V8 swap plans? or are you going to keep the 2.9V6?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
5.0 swap is in the future...anylinks to a good write up?

also any idea where i can see pics of 4" of lift and 33's and 6" of lift and 33's?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so what about a front driveshaft? what i do bout that...also the rangers/X's that arent floor shifter are they electric shift?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The Ranger/Explorer did come with real floor shifters (mine has (had) one) BUT, it was a "delete" option for the otherwise standard electric shift setup.
Because of this, not near as many were made. I would guesstimate there was one manual shift model sold for every 50 or so electric ones.

During the '80s models, the electric model was the option, so manuals during these years should be easier to find in a yard.

Driveshaft,
The stock one can be used for either the D35 OR D44 axle. You have to get the matching driveshaft for the T-case you get. The shaft cannot be swapped between the 1350 and the 1354.
If you use the D44 axle, you may have to either swap the pinion yoke on the axle or use a "conversion" u-joint for it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i wanted to try to stay away from the electric shift model...but if i have to get one...how well do they work i have read about them messing up alot

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
No, you definately want a manual one if you can find it.
Problems are common with the shift motor on the back of the T-case.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok well what if i decide to just convert it to 4wd using the ttb setup....i do want to get the 35 off a ranger/X i will prolly use the 150 t-case...could i get a complete list of things i need to gank off the parts vehicle? i want to try to only make 1 trip to the junkyard

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Theres a lot of TTB disbelievers out there, but it will work quite well if setup correct. As with anything else, it just needs a few improvements (longer shocks, decent springs that will flex, extended radius arms, etc.). And of course, using crappy lift brackets instead of good sturdy ones won't help it keep alignment at all, either.

The steering is the only real potential limitation. a TTB doesn't take well to a tall lift. You can only go so far with a dropped pitman before you stress the sector shaft on the steering box to the breaking point.

Have you checked out The Ranger Station???????

Click on the logo. You'll be glad you did;)

Be sure to check the forums, too. theres plenty of discussion on using both the TTB and SA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts