Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a 79 E250 van that I'm curious about converting to 4wd. Anyone done one or know anyone that has? Anyone know what axle to look for and how much fab work this will take?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
No offense, but seriously, why would anyone want to go to all the hassle to convert, of all things, a van, to 4wd???????????????????????????
Especially when real 4wd vehicles are everywhere and can be sourced for chump change?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Why not? :flipoff2:

I think vans are awesome! Besides, they are not your "run of the mill" off-roading rig. All I see are Jeeps, buggy's, and all the "normal" full-size solid axle rigs on here. Why not do something out of the ordinary? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah man, my dad bought this van brand new back in the day and I want to fix it up like I always thought it should be. Its already got a nice tall stance and stout drivetrain. It just needs power to the front wheels to be awsome. I have no plans to make it a hardcore trail rig or anything I just think It would be a badass camping and hunting rig that I can have a little fun with.

LiftedAWDAstro said:
Why not? :flipoff2:

I think vans are awesome! Besides, they are not your "run of the mill" off-roading rig. All I see are Jeeps, buggy's, and all the "normal" full-size solid axle rigs on here. Why not do something out of the ordinary? :D

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
dont forget the heart bubble window and the shag carpet:massey:

dont feel bad i was lookin at doin the same thing, vans on 38's are cool:smokin:

·
Registered
96 Posts
van

I had a 86 ford 4x4 van pathfinder conversion and it went everywhere i ever wanted to go on 35s it also towed my friends chevy home several times. You would be suprised where a 4 wheel drive van will go even without lockers and there not as top heavy as you would think.

also if you to do this you will want a dana 60 front ive seen a few with dana 44s but they break pretty easy if you have a c6 tranny either get a 4wd c6 with the np205 hanging of the back or mount the 205 divorced and if its a one ton van i suggest leaf springs up front simpler to build

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
72hiboy4x4 said:
answers to your prayers right here... and cheap also!
been on CL for a while now, might go even cheaper.

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/pts/242877937.html
Wow, looks like a 60 front to!

To convert it, if you tranny is in good shape, find a divored 205 and use that.
If you tranny needs a go through, just get one with a married t-case.
The front end will be some what easy to put in, you can find many threads on guys that have done SAS's, it will be somewhat like that to intall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts