Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the laws regarding use of land for offroading are. I'm trying to find some areas close to chico to go wheelin and i've heard about a bunch, but I don't know if there illegal or not. If any of you know any close places to go and/or the laws about offroading please post them.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
If it's state or municipally owned land - go get permission from the authorities.

If it's privately owned - find out who owns it and ask their permission.

Pretty simple.:rolleyes: BTW - if it's owned by a utility company be SURE you get permission from someone who has the authority to give it to you before you wheel. Around here, with the security issues (terrorist threats), ensuring the safety of the water and power supply is paramount. Trespassers get their rigs impounded and possibly seized by the state if they get caught. No bullshit.

Hef

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
fj40john said:
might sound kinda basic...but if you see
POSTED: NO TRESPASSING!
don't go wheelin' there. It's amazing how many people ignore those signs and then get pissed when they get arrested and their junk is impounded.
It's not that basic in CA. If it's posted they can haul you and your rig away. If it's not posted, you can still get a ticket.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Plat books, available at your county recorder's office will identify the owner of record for a piece of real estate. Some municipalities/counties sell them for the express purpose of enlightening folks like us, hunters and fishermen.

California may have more extensive laws, but if you're not dumping oil in waters of the state (there is no such thing as a private pond or creek) you may be alright, but something to keep in mind is that operation of motorized "Equipment" in a wetlands is federally regulated so you might be in trouble just for driving through a mud hole (section 404 (a) of the federal water pollution control act).

I wheel mainly in Upper Michigan where it is mostly open state, paper company or lumber company-owned land. Essentially, if it isn't posted, it's fair game.

Peace,
Paul

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Remember that federal rules overide state rules on federal land. And just because it looks like a trail, there's no signs, no berms, no signs of blocking the trail at all and the locals say it's ok, it doesn't mean it's legally open to 4x4 use......

$100 x 6 = $600 for the forest service to use for um, gee, I don't know what they use it for. No signs of them doing anything useful in that area :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yeah I would suggest talking with the owners and stuff... and even if it's not posted you need to do something... I went out to a neghborhood that stopped being built after the main road was paved in and the owner of all the land saw us drive in, and called the sherrifs dept on us... ended up costing us a shit load of money... 250 each for 12 people...
they also said they could take the trucks if they wanted too.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VT_Toy said:
Remember that federal rules overide state rules on federal land. And just because it looks like a trail, there's no signs, no berms, no signs of blocking the trail at all and the locals say it's ok, it doesn't mean it's legally open to 4x4 use......

$100 x 6 = $600 for the forest service to use for um, gee, I don't know what they use it for. No signs of them doing anything useful in that area :rolleyes:
$100x6 i got you beat on that. I parked on a dirt road at a resevoir and got a $375 fine and 2 years court probation. I wasn't even 100 feet from the the main highway. It's a real long story but this is why i really want to make sure i don't give the cops a way to screw me :)

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,421 Posts
basically if you have ANY doubts that you should be there, then you probably shouldn't be there ;)...

do not listen to the locals just because they goe there or have for years, that doesn't mean it is. find out for sure....the best way is like was posted above, contact some 4wd clubs in your area....

as a general rule in CA, everything is closed unless you have WRITTEN permission from the owner/proper authorities, or it's public land (USFS, BLM etc) and it's POSTED OPEN..

:usa:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.