Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a old truck. I want the bed to dump and exploring my options. Right now I'm looking at using a 8000 lbs rated winch to dump the bed through a series of pulleys. Has anybody ever used this type of setup? I'm searching for advice on the design.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesnt matter how its set up as long as the lest pulley is above the bed and it mounts down below.
Thankyou that helps a ton. Define "lest" pulley. I don't want a sieve way up in the air all the time. I would want it retractable, unless there is a better way. Like for example a scissor type mechanism how hydraulic beds dump.

·
blatant asshole
11,828 Posts
good luck with that.

you will need to build what is essentialy a <> screw jack but with pulley shieve instead of a screw.

to get a 8' bed up with any kind of leverage/load to 45* the jack body will need to be every bit as wide as the truck is. it will need to be transversely mounted other wise the mech will be under the cab and not cycle.

i am also not sure how far you will be able to compress the <> down, if you go to dead flat you will need 10x pulling power to lift the bed that first 1', once the <> starts to form the lifting effort will be reduced.

a mid sized headache rack with a standard 3xpulley setup would be about as simple as it could get. you can mount the bed pulley end way down low almost touching the drive shaft so that the cables have the stroke length needed to get the bed up high enough to dump and so they dont \ to the bed and try to pull the bed towards the cab as it gets to full height.
this system is super critical to bed length from pivot to pulley mount. to get a longer bed up high enough to dump you will need a progressively taller headache rack/frame pulley mount, you can only go 14' over all height.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
'49 ford F5 cab on '77 f 150 frame/running gear.
Only reason I asked was that I've seen some really old stuff that was actually set up that way. But for what you have I'd go hydraulic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts