Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need tie rod ends for my 4x4 van (2000 Ford with the mighty 7.3). I dug up an old message from Quigley that I HAVE TO (?) buy the tie rod end from them?! The one I have to get from them is the right side, its the longer tie rod and has the hole for where the drag link connects. If you guys need a picture let me know but it's dark right now :rolleyes:

What I'm wondering is can this be replaced with something off the shelf maybe some kind of custom 4x4 stuff?

Can I press out just the worn part from it in a shop press and replace it, is that a thing that people do? Like you would with some press-in ball joints is what I had in mind.

I mean what would I do if Quigley went out of business like so many other 4x4 van converters? OH yeah they want $169 + shipping (about $250) for just the one tie rod end! That is a lot of money for what it is... there must be something better I can do for 250 bucks for one tie rod. I'm on a tight budget right now. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A pic would help with what you have at the moment
I agree, but sorry its dark (almost typed "dork"!) right now, I'll get one tomorrow. There's a couple things I'll try to point out in the pic. (a) It has a slight bend on the driver's end and (b) It uses a crappy hollow slotted tube with basically clamps to anchor driver's side down. (c) It appears to be a T-link design.

Honestly just looks like a pretty shitty design for a $250 (shipped) part, I read another forum a guy stripped his out while driving and with the slotted tube/sleeve I can see why. There must be something I could do for either cheaper or better for the same price. In my situation I'd prefer cheaper.

Does the driver's side bend make it tougher than an off the shelf kit?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Got pics yet?

I'd be willing to bet it's an off-the-shelf part from a similar year Super Duty application.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
PICS!!! (not those kind)

OK guys, the sun is out! I got some pics of the tie rod... hey I noticed its stamped with a number of some kind, but of course the surface rust makes it all but illegible.
https://ibb.co/b3vGUv
https://ibb.co/k8fTba
https://ibb.co/cFS8ba
https://ibb.co/dLMehF

-edit i tried to put the pics in the reply but they dont show up. I have the "IMG" and /IMG things (in brackets). Sorry about that.

It looks like the stamping reads "ZINF922". I don't get anything on a google search of it though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tie Rod Ends:
Moog # ES2082R Dynatrac # DA60-3304-T
Moog # ES2083L Dynatrac # DA60-3304-U

from here:
Tie rod ends - Sportsmobile Forum
Thanks but i'd read that thread (twice) before posting here. The parts you quoted are not for my vehicle. They're for the SMB 4x4 conversion, and a 1995. I have a 2000 Quigley.

--edit the tie rod I'm looking for connects to the passenger side knuckle and is long -- almost the full width of the axle.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'd take it off and take it to the parts store and compare shanks/tapers/threads etc. I doubt it is a custom piece.

And how is a part $169 and with shipping it is $250? $80 to ship a TRE? Where are you, the moon?

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd take it off and take it to the parts store and compare shanks/tapers/threads etc. I doubt it is a custom piece.

And how is a part $169 and with shipping it is $250? $80 to ship a TRE? Where are you, the moon?

Good luck.
I also doubt it's custom. I am hoping someone on here will recognize it. I talked to one of the guys in the thread you linked on the phone yesterday and he's the one who told me the shipping was $80 when he ordered the same part from Quigley. I can't get a returned call from Quigley so I hoped someone might recognize it. It may be off of a Dodge or something I'm not sure. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
Id get a length on it but it looks like a regular old gm tierod stuck on a dodge knuckle.

It might be a d60 but it could be a d44 tre.
Idk the year exactly but the axle it came from would have the stabilzer bracket in the center of the housing.

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
Fwiw, that can all be replaced with a kit from ruffstuff. Inverted -t steering. They use common ends and even ream the eyelet for you.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
I have a 97 with the 7.3. $250k miles. I am sure htose have been replaced a couple times. Never from Quigley. Last time was the internet and Moog parts. I wish I had the part #'s for you. It didn't seem like a big deal.

But I also have a press and could have bent one to match?? I wouldn't have thought anything about it.

I also installed the Ruffstuff link bushing which helped steering. Almost too much as it is really sensitive now.

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
I just looked at my 88 d60. Id bet money thats what you want.

Get a measurement from tre/tre and i bet its the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys thanks for the responses! I am going through my options now. Once I got the people at Quigley on the phone they were pretty helpful. They gave me a standard MOOG part ES922 for my van and told me it is modified from there. My options are to get the ES922 and figure those mods, or get a kit fabbered up from something like RUFF STUFF which looks awesome! The local 4x4 shop reminded me that I'm not rock crawling in this van so the kit may not be necessary, but boy I think I'd figure how to go that way if money was not an issue! I think I will call them tomorrow and see how much different it would be, I think it would be about $200 more to fit in a RUFF STUFF kit.

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
Its not necessarily about strength. You want easy to find reasonably priced peices? While the kit initialy costs abit more, the ends are cheaper when they need future replacement.

And you bent yours, so maybe you do need some more beef.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Seconded on the ruffstuff or comparable kit. While increased strength is not necessarily what you are after, it won't hurt to have it. Ease of future replacability will be the biggest reason for going this route.

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
Keep in mind the taper in the knuckle is also a concern if you start over with aftermarket steering, those aren't all the same.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Think about the panhard rod angle. Mine is perfect from the bottom up.

I also realized I put the Ruffstuff tie rod spacer that keeps them from rotating in the wrong spot. Duh.... (It goes on the passenger side knuckle) Something you should consider since pulling it all apart.

I assume you got the right part numbers. The bend is very slight to miss the D60 cover. The internet was definitely my friend buying parts. Everyone has dead stock on their shelves.

We really don't take vans on killer trails (It upsets the silverware). Easy to overthink....especially since the tie rod spacer trick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts