Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geeze, thought the "fordnatics" would be tripping all over their golloshas to fill me in on the best combination of axles, transfer case and trans for my "designer" Rover.

Hey guys(gals) I am building a scatch tube chassis with power from a stroked 302 sbf and hopefully, if enough respond so we can debate the pros/cons, an AOD with both manual and auto shift, transfer case(?????), and what axles(????).

I chose this route as we sling tubing and wirefeed all day and this was a natch. What's cool :cool: , is the fact this will all be covered up with a 67 Rover 88" body a la resto rod. Anxious to watch those dudes try to smoke this one.

First time for me doing the off road 4x4 trip. Yea, there are all sorts of stuff as I have found out but picking the right stuff is all new and hope to get input from the "real deal" guys on this one.
Don't want to plow new ground if someone has already done this combo.

Appreciate anyone's interest.:D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well you have asked a very open ended question.

First off, save yourself some money, skip the stroked 5.0. Ford already makes one, 351w. Ask the mustag guys about this swap, the only reason they don't do this is that you need to get a diffrent hood to fit it in a stang. You will not have that problem going custom.

AOD: not a bad choice, just make some mods and they are good for 12 sec 1/4 mile car.

T-case: since your going short WB (88ish") you might have to pony up for either an Atlas. Or is you wish to use an adapter, D20 low gear set, flipped 300 low gear, about the only two good small cases. If you would strech the WB some, you could go 203/205.

Axles: How big do you want to go? Since you will be short, if keeping the 88"WB. If you keep it smaller 35-37ish you might be able to go with HP44 front and 9" rear. But with the power you will most likey be making you should probly step up to a HP60 and what ever you wish for the rear. The best rear for it is always in debate here. D70, D60, 14 bolt, these are your normal 3 big guys. 10.25 would also be a good choice.

Just one other thing to think about. How often are you going to use this thing? Also how much experance do you have? Are you building this as your first rig? If so I would just get some experance under your belt before you go after something that sound like an extrem setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts