Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lookin about putting a 4 link suspension front and rear, does anyone know of any good and experienced shops in texas that can do this for me? or any shops close to texas? thanks

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I wouldnt trust any one here to do a suspension like that, maybe a guy on his own, but dont know of any bussiness here that would do an excellent clean job. Maybe Im forgetting someone.

·
Registered
567 Posts
well, i'm in san antonio as well. i just did a multi link rear on mine, and i'm friends with txse. i think he shares my morbid opinion on the abilities of texas shops. mine turned out well, but took some work and re-engineering. marcus's truck worked out well too, but the craftsmanship....

here is a pic of us wheeling awhile back.

people don't know the difference between flex and body roll sometimes.

theres a crappy pic of my jeep too, you can kinda see the long arms there, but mine is a traingulated link in the rear.

engineer all your stuff yourself, then let someone build it. DONT TRUST THEM WHEN THEY SAY THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!! unless you see them 4wheeling successfuly and your impressed. if you don't see their work functioning on the trail, DONT LET THEM BUILD ON IT!! oh, but i guess when they post cut bogger sniper knock offs :)flipoff2: ) you can expect them to be able to build links correctly.

anyways, pm me and we can all go wheeling down in the old san antonio.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
ya there are losts of shops to many shops that have no clue what is what and still built rigs!! and going wheeling with them to see what works or if it even works is a good idea !!!! peaple can do all the fancy formulas to impress you talk shit to sell you but real world wheeling separates the bull shit from the real deal.
but if you cant build it . then you dam sure should not design it.!!!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
i disagree on the building designing comment. i design better than i build because of time restrictions or, money/time. plus, you will learn alot more designing it on your own. and another way to describe design can also be, "steal". there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. and remember, whenever you try and overcomplicate something with widgets, you end up with crap. especially on suspensions.

i am in no way even trying to say i know shit about suspensions, or put people down, but its not that difficult. and if you keep leaf springs in front while you are testing stuff out, it will give you a buffer against your own crappy first gen designs. i wouldn't design a suspension my first time for my daily driver, but on a trail only rig, why not?

leasons i've learned, don't incorporate too much flex when all you end up with is body roll. over build any link with heavier tube than you think you will need. use a limiting strap. use the correct spring rate, but i like mine a little soft. space your links properly in horizontally and vertically where they are supposed to be. don't guess. use common sense.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
aaronlosey said:
i disagree on the building designing comment. i design better than i build because of time restrictions or, money/time. plus, you will learn alot more designing it on your own. and another way to describe design can also be, "steal". there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. and remember, whenever you try and overcomplicate something with widgets, you end up with crap. especially on suspensions.

i am in no way even trying to say i know shit about suspensions, or put people down, but its not that difficult. and if you keep leaf springs in front while you are testing stuff out, it will give you a buffer against your own crappy first gen designs. i wouldn't design a suspension my first time for my daily driver, but on a trail only rig, why not?

leasons i've learned, don't incorporate too much flex when all you end up with is body roll. over build any link with heavier tube than you think you will need. use a limiting strap. use the correct spring rate, but i like mine a little soft. space your links properly in horizontally and vertically where they are supposed to be. don't guess. use common sense.
welp sounds like you are da shit see ya:rolleyes:

·
Registered
567 Posts
no, no, no. you missed my point completely. i said i DON'T know shit.

my real point which is my contribution to the post as tech is that you shouldn't trust a shop in texas to do your work. PERIOD. all they do is stack lift blocks until they can fit 44s. and thats on a good day. i've seen WOOD used as lift blocks here, and they will swear to you its the best way to do it. and everybody agrees with the guy cause he has 44s and just got through that there mud hole.

by the way, i like your rigs. i was just joking about them being sniper knock offs. tube frames just end up looking the same after awhile. and i am sure your rigs work way better than mine, cause its what you do for a living. i do something completely different, which doesn't translate over at all. and don't worry, you drive much more aggressively too, i've seen video.

have fun, peace out.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
aaronlosey said:
no, no, no. you missed my point completely. i said i DON'T know shit.

my real point which is my contribution to the post as tech is that you shouldn't trust a shop in texas to do your work. PERIOD. all they do is stack lift blocks until they can fit 44s. and thats on a good day. i've seen WOOD used as lift blocks here, and they will swear to you its the best way to do it. and everybody agrees with the guy cause he has 44s and just got through that there mud hole.

by the way, i like your rigs. i was just joking about them being sniper knock offs. tube frames just end up looking the same after awhile. and i am sure your rigs work way better than mine, cause its what you do for a living. i do something completely different, which doesn't translate over at all. and don't worry, you drive much more aggressively too, i've seen video.

have fun, peace out.
ok that saved you a ass woopin:D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts