Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 5.0 w/46k on the clock out of an 89 Marquis for 50 bucks.I was hoping to find a 150/bronco in need of a motor.I was just wondering how this motor compares to a truck or mustang motor? Can this motor behooked to a truck ECM or should I get the ECM from the Marquis?Any and all info reguarding this motor is much appreciated. Oh...what do you guys think of possibly dropping it in a jeep?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't comment on that car specifically, but can offer some experience with a similar swap. I was able to put a 5.0 engine from a '87 LTD into a '92 F-150 and everything worked out great. Now both of these were speed density setups. Only difference I noticed was that the LTD heads used different spark plugs than the truck (threads went deeper in spark plug holes).

Edit: wanted to throw in some more info about my swap.
I used the original valve covers, oilpan, upper & lower intake and exhaust manifolds from the truck on the LTD engine. I did use all of the truck's wiring, ECM, etc. All that was swapped was the block and heads. The engine ran nice and smooth with good power. Mileage was unchanged from the ~10-11mpg that I was getting in the truck before the swap. Mileage was only that low because it was an extended cab, log bed, 4x4 with a camper shell on top and my lead foot on the throttle!:cool2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
all the internals are the same except for maybe the cam is different than the mustang. the biggest difference is the speed density or mass air. also im not 100% on this but i know on 5.0 tbirds and cougars the intake and elbow are on the drivers side not the passenger side

·
Registered
506 Posts
also im not 100% on this but i know on 5.0 tbirds and cougars the intake and elbow are on the drivers side not the passenger side
I have a 5.0 from a 89' Grand Marqis as well going into a 66' Ranchero, yes the intake is pointed towards the drivers side.

If memeory serves, the 5.0 truck motors used a taller intake. The cars got a shorter intake to clear the hood. Aside from that, the factory programming for fuel and spark curves will vary a bit between the car and truck ECMs, probably not enough to notice by the seat of your pants though.

The pinouts vary a little between the SD cars and trucks according to www.fordfuelinjection.com. The biggest difference being the injector pinouts. Also trucks only run one O2 sensor where the cars have two. The only other two differences I see are the fact that the car ECM has a BOO (brake on) input and the truck ECM has a knock sensor input.

If you were to use the harness, computer, manifolds, and sensors from the truck you're swapping the motor into, like ScreaminZ did, you should be golden. HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
be careful

a few 302's use different firing order make sure to use the firing order for the engine you are installing --- i ran in to this when installing a 93 5.0 HO out of a Thunderbird in to my 86 ford f250 other than that just change intake - x- manifolds and oil pan and pickup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts