Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got an 89 stang, the engine is pulled. Wiring harness will be removed by the end of the day (along with the computer).

I also plan to pull the gas tank for the fuel pump.

The deal is that I need to get the vehicle out of my yard quickly (end of the week) and to the scrap yard, is there anything else that should be pulled while I've got access to it? I'd like to make sure I get everything pulled that will be useful for my swap into my TJ, but I don't want to waste my time pulling stuff that'll just get thrown out.

Bob

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Remove the inertia switch if you plan to use one.
Also remove as much of the body harness or any other electrical as you can. It makes for a nice swap to have all of the multitudes of wire colors available for splices and such, it also makes for easy trouble shooting later. The automotive electrical connectors can also be very nice for anything from engine wiring to rock lights in the future.
I would remove anything that you may even remotely want to use from bracketry, to hoses, and automotive grade nuts and bolts. You can always throw it away later but that kind of stuff can really run up the cost of swap everytime you make a trip to the hardware store or parts store.
Good luck with the swap.

One last note, you do realize??? that the Mustang rear axle, steering column, front suspension, interior parts...etc are all worth money to the Pony fanatics.
I bought my 89 Mark VII for $600, and sold all of the stuff I didnt want for $900.

·
Registered
469 Posts
dont know if the 8.8 or 9" from that stang would fit your TJ... but it would be a worthwhile upgrade if she did... specially with those disc brakes...

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
281 Quad Cam said:
dont know if the 8.8 or 9" from that stang would fit your TJ... but it would be a worthwhile upgrade if she did... specially with those disc brakes...
The 8.8, has 28 splines, and is drum brakes and shitty 4 lug. Why anyone would put it under a jeep I don't know.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just got my 5.0 YJ back on the road Sunday! From the time I pulled the 4.0 until the 5.0 was running was only 5 days.

I agree with 'monday' pull all you can. Spend the prep time! It's worth every minute. The only interior wiring you 'need' is the green plug and the gray plug....and of course the computer plug and brown plug/relay.

I pulled about a foot of wire out of the interior harness with the green plug, however you'll only need the fat gray(something) wire for the 02 sensors. I can't recall what the gray plug is for, but there are (I think) 4 wires you'll need from that too. This a fairly easy swap. I also swapped in a C4/Dana20 with the 5.0.

I don't know if you've done this yet, but go to your local public libaray and photo copy the wire diagrams for the Jeep and the Stang. Tracking down the nessary wires may take a few nights, but again all the prep time is time well spent!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Let me know how this project goes, and if you need a hand on anything, feel free to give me a shout. I'm in the middle of doing the same thing on my '97 :) . (Mechanical stuff down, wiring is not)
Chris
Cincinnati, OH
[email protected]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info and help. This is going to be a slow conversion as time is always a hot commodity of which I always run short.

I will have the stang tore down by the end of the week, so I can consolidate the space in my garage (and the wife can reclaim her 1/2 of the parking area).

I've got all my major components, 302ho, np435, np203, np205 to setup my system, now its just a matter of getting the adapter parts bought/made to put it all together. Really in no hurry, but I'd like to get it done by sometime in the summer time.

Bob
97 TJ, 38" sx's, 44/60 combo axles, and a tow rig / trailer to get me to the trails.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sounds good :). I've got my AOD and NP205 sitting in the garage right now, too. Have you decided what to do for a radiator yet?
Chris

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GO 4LO said:
Sounds good :). I've got my AOD and NP205 sitting in the garage right now, too. Have you decided what to do for a radiator yet?
Chris
Nope not yet.

·
Registered
788 Posts
GreenMachine360, have you gotten the wiring all figured out yet?
Chris

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
in my YJ 5.0 I used a 3 core replacement radiator with a Flex-o-Light electric fan. I wanted to use a mechanical fan but I installed the engine rather low in the frame, and too far forward, the fan would've hit the tranny cooler lines in the bottom of the radiator and the fan was only 2" from the rad. It cools just fine, runs all day long at 185

·
Registered
788 Posts
sodaboyYJ, what CFM is your electric fan rated at? I've mounted mine way back by the firewall, so there's plenty of room for a mechanical fan, but I'm still leaning toward electric.
GreenMachine360, did you happen to figure out a way to use the stock gauges, or do you run aftermarket stuff? Also, was your TJ originally a 4-banger or a 6?
Mine was originally a 4-banger. I've got all the Mustang wiring but am considering the Painless harness. Which did you use?
Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go4Lo.
it wsa originally a 4 banger. I used the mustang harness. Most of the wiring was pretty simple. the most trouble i had was finding wires that were hot in run only.
I used joined three of the fuses behind the glove box (interior stuff that i idnd't need anymore), and used those wires to power the hot in run only stuff. I also putt bigger fuses in to accomodate the power. so far, it runs pretty good, but i got some idleing issues to figure out.
Do you have the fsm for your 4 banger? I can send it to you if you need it
Josh

·
Registered
788 Posts
Josh, I don't have the FSM for my 4-banger. I've got the Jeep Engines book, but that doesn't have a whole lot of wiring info :(. I have the wiring diagrams for a Mustang, but I got ALL the wiring in the whole car (it's like a 2ft. by 25ft. diagram haha). :)
Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chris, shoot me a pm if you want the fsm for the 4 banger. I got it on my computer, and could email the sections you need to you, or send the whole thing to you on a cd (snail mail)
Josh

·
Registered
788 Posts
PM'd you. Thanks! I've got all the Mustang wiring and diagrams laid out on the basement floor right now. Did you just use the Mustang computer, or did you use both? I've heard that I might be able to use both in order to get the stock gauges to work with this motor. Any ideas?
Chris

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
the Flex-a-lite fan #475 moves 2030 CFM.

as far as the Jeep gauges go, you'll need to use your Jeep sending units. The coolant temp sender will need a 1/8"x3/8" pipe bushing to fit the Ford intake manifold, and the oil psi sender will need a 1/8"x 1/4" pipe bushing to fit the Ford oil pump. I unscrewed the Ford senders and installed the Jeep senders via the nessary bushings and connected the wiring and it worked great. The only gauge that I can't get to work correctly is the Tach. A 6cyl tach won't read correctly with the 8cyl engine....at Idle it reads like 1400 RPM, and that ain't right!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts