Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install 5.29's in the runner next weekend, and was wondering what thickness or number of shims got your pinion in the right spot, i know that my diff is slightly different, and cant use your thickness exactly, but i don't want to be pressing the pinion bearing on and off all weekend, and also could i just use the factory shim pack to get it close or not, thanks a lot, Joe

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
if it's US GEAR then start with 100

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I don't remember what the exact amount was but we started with 1/2 what they supplied. We got lucky and got it right on our 2nd try but good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, they are genuine gears, if that matters :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
In my last gear change I ended up using all the supplied shims with the factory one... Depending on the 3rd you may have to keep the factory shim(clearance issue)

Start off with the factory shim and a couple more and go from there...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've always used the cheater bearing trick. have your stock pinion bearing pressed off, get your factory shim, start with that.
take the used bearing and a die grinder, grind out the center so it slides on the new pinion snuggly.
assemble, check pattern , when good.
disassemble: new pinion in the freezer and new bearing in the oven.
seat bearing, assemble, good pattern set a little back lash. done.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wirenut gave you just about the best advice you could get. When we did mine (I was being taught how to do it at the time) The factory shimming worked in the front with stock carrier but we had to do the rear several times with the detroit going in. Its not all that hard its just time consuming.

·
Registered
145 Posts
superjoe83 said:
thanks guys, they are genuine gears, if that matters :D
When -whitebrowithafro- and I replaced the ring and pinion on my truck, I also bought genuine gears and they didnt provide enough shims. Talk about time consuming. That fawkin thing took us the whole day and by the end of it we thought something might be wrong cause we used so many shims but I slapped it back in and no problems. Just my $.02

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts