Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some calculations and I havent decided on which.
I'm turning 35 12.5 r15, they are actually 34 3/4 in high, anyway.
Shes an 85 4runner, I guess my concern is freeway speed, still street legal and I drive for a DD.
I think I'm gonna end up with the 4.88 for this reason,
Was wondering, I cant seem to get a straight answer. What are yall's experience with the 22re 5.29 and 35's?
Half the people tell me 4.88 and the other half 5.29 and Ill regret buying the 4.88.
Charts and calculations only say so much. I want experience.
Thanx

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm running 5.29's and cruise on the highway fine.
Maybe I'm a little oddball but I go 60-70 no problem in 4th gear with my stock 22r, gears and 36" swampers. Tell you the truth I don't like going any faster in that truck if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I daily drove my 85 4Runner for 18 months on 35s w/ 4.88s...no problem and plenty of power...6 months of that on 37s and still fine. It isn't going to be a speed demon either way. :flipoff2:

:smokin:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
with 5.29's and 35" MTRs i can do 90 if i want... it's faster than i want to be going in that truck.

i have a few buddies with 5.29s we dont DD them anymore it's totally doable.

5.29s sound really low but i'd compare it to 30s with 4.10s.. it drives like stock-power wise

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 5.29's in my truck with 35's and it seems perfect to me. It doesnt rev hard on the freeway at all. In fact the other day I had to put my old set of
31's on because I broke a valve stem on my 35's and even with 31's it doesnt seem to be reved out that bad while on the freeway

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yea, I dont want to push anything past 70 maximum maybe 80 in a quick pinch, just for safety sake, but I'd like to be turning no more or around 3k RPM at 70, just for economy sake. Some guys were talking like they couldnt push past 65 without being revved out.
Not too worried about breaking them, but I have heard that, never seen it though.
I think with a community this big there is always someone out there somewhere who has done something.
Just in my experience, I havent seen it from a 22re
Thanx keep em coming please.

oh I am running stock gears now, but when im in the grade its, 2nd gear and 35mph

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
How many people have destroyed a set of 5.29's with a 22re, just curious. I've been running them hard for a while pushing 35's with zero problems, locked front and rear.
i dont personally know anyone thats done it. i've beat on my truck pretty good locked front and rear and i've been fine...

i have only read about them on here from some ultra cool web wheelers.. but you know how credible they are:laughing:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I guess my concern is freeway speed, still street legal and I drive for a DD.
I think I'm gonna end up with the 4.88 for this reason,
Charts and calculations only say so much. I want experience.
Thanx
4.88 :shaking:Don't do it! 5.29's will make it feel like stock, gearing wise. You can always go to a bigger tire if it's a little too low for you. If you ever go up in the mountains to high altitude, loaded down with all your shit you'll be damn glad you have them them when/if you wheel it you'll be damn glad too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea, thats what have heard, I will regret the 4.88.
I was once told of a man whom claimed that 65 was max because he was revved out.
Was not sure if that was the case, but it scared me, Now I am not so scared.
5.29's it is I think.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I googled "gear calculator" and found this site http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm
According to their chart at 65mph in 1/1ratio 4th in my toy 5spd
with 5.29s and 35s rpm is 3300
with 4.88s and 35s rpm is 3045
with 4.10s and 29s rpm is 3095
The 29s are what my 4runner came with when I bought it. I found it interesting that the 5.29s are so low.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I run 4.56s and 35" supersports which measure 33" exactly and it does fine, I run down the highway in 5th at ~2700 RPM, Ive got to down shift to pass, in headwinds, pulling fairly steep hills ect ect. Drafting helps alot. I also run a set of 36" bias Iroks in the winter, I can still cruise down the highway 60-65ish in 5th but I pretty much have to be drafting, down shift into 4th for just about anything, and sometimes 3rd on the steepest of hills, and some passing. Im happy with the gearing for now, and I usually get better fuel economy than most of the guys I run with but; I plan on steping up to a ~40 tire when I wear out the 36s and will be going to 5.29s. If I didnt get the 4.56s with my ARB 3rds i would have bought 5.29s. Like some one else said f its too low, deal with it untill you can up the tire size.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
How many people have destroyed a set of 5.29's with a 22re, just curious. I've been running them hard for a while pushing 35's with zero problems, locked front and rear.
I have punished my 5.29's with dual cases locked front and rear for over 2000 miles now. All trail miles and haven't broken them yet

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
more teeth=smaller teeth=less strength.
I know guys who run 38's on Toyota running gear with 529's with no problems.

Try to drive or ride in a similar capable rig with either ratio, and feel it out.

I have 529's with 35 toyo's and can cruise at 65-70 freeway without pushin it.Kinda torqe~E:D

If you don't plan on goin bigger than 35's you could get away with 488's but you may bog down a little while wheelin with low air on rough sh*t.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your speedo error will be corrected also with 5.29's.
I am interested in seeing what gears I have now. I think they are stock, but the guy I bought the truck off of had no idea what the original owner had done to it.
Curious, because now with my 35's my speedo is right on. Before when it was stock on 31's it was off. I wonder.
i think when I have the Locker put in Ill have them check. And have them do the gears all in one shot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts