Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my trusty 'Haynes' manual it says that there was a 4 speed available with the 1F, and the ratio of 1st gear was 5.299:1. My guess is that Toyota updated the transmission to 4 speed before they updated the engine to 135hp.

Now, my first gear is damn low, so I guess I have the H41 (4.925:1) or possibly this mystical F four-speed (Haynes does not give a model number for it). My FJ was already chev'ed when I bought it, but I think that it had an F in it originally.

Does anyone know anything about the 'F' four speed, and how can I tell what I have hanging off my bell housing? Also, Which engine would my rig have come out of the factory with, and is there any way to tell? It is a 9/1974.

Cheers

2car

·
Registered
426 Posts
The 5.3:1 first gear tranny was seen only on FJ55 models that I am aware of (early too, I think 1971-up 4 speed). If the top plate is pulled off the tranny, the 5.3 gear stands taller that the top of the cast iron body of the tranny. Very rare bird.

FYI, the "4 speed case" (with only 3 forward speeds) was introduced in mid 1967 as an option for the FJ55 (as well as power brakes!).

I should have the correct info on the 5.3 tranny in a week and can give a complete run down on models.....

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Originally posted by JasonH:
<STRONG>Everything you ever wanted to know about factory configurations of Land Cruisers....

TLC FAQ</STRONG>
Thanks for posting that link again - the text version has more info than the "other" version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
H41 5.299 1st
Only in FJ55 1969-1970
H41 4.9 1st
all models with 4 speed outside US till 1980

The early H41 all same the same gears and innard but the Input and Counter shaft had a different teeth couth.

H41 4.8 1st
from 1981 to ... all the same gears as H55F

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by wngrog:
<STRONG>From 75-80 the B deisel engine had that transmission.

I have never know anyone who had one though.</STRONG>
Err, 1974 to 1980 got the 4.9:1 1st gear, GEN market and I think Canada (not sure) has the H42.

Phil

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep it's a great reference. It must be the fj55 f and fourspeed combination Haynes is talking about.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The FJ25s came with either a 4-speed, non-synchromesh compound low transmission, or a 3-speed transmission. Maybe that's what the 5.299 first gear was in?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts