Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 6859 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
how many of you are running a stock TJ pump?
If not what pump are you running?
Also what axle gears are you running?

I have a 5.3 39.5's and 4.10's and it seems to have no sack, about to pull the trigger on 5.13's. Figured i'd ask
I understood the stock TJ pump doesn't put out enough PSI. The LSX engines need a minimum of 55 PSI and if I recall, the TJ pumps put out right about 50 PSI. I'm running the E2000 pump. I know there's a debate about the E2000 begin sufficient for an LSX series motor, it's been enough for my TJ so far.

I'm running 5.13's with 40's and it's perfect, it's fast enough on the street and works well offroad. I think you're gearing is too far off with 4.10's and 39.5's.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
5.3,sm465,np205

I built a truck for a kid here with a 5.3,Advance adapters clutch kit,sm465, and np205.I used a painless harness, and had the computer reflashed by fastchips.They claim 375 rear wheel horsepower and it feels like it the truck rips.Oh, it is all in a 72 chevy 4x4 fleetside,painted hugger orange.:smokin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the middle of this swap now!

I can't offer much yet b/c I'm right in the middle of this swap as we speak. I have a 5.3 Vortec LM7 from a 2002 Avalanche, a 4L60E from a 2002 Suburban, and decided to go w/ a NP241C from a 95 Tahoe along w/ a JB Conversions super short SYE kit. It's going to be stuffed into a 95 YJ that came stock w/ the 2.5 Liter piece of crap engine and AX5 manual tranny--probably in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am in the process of building a 5.3 for the CJ8. Its a 2003 with full floating rods and the newer pistons (anodized top ring land, nitrided top ring, and floating pin). Its going to be running a LS6 Zo6 cam with milled 5.3l heads. The trans is a built th-350 with the trans go manual kit. More to come as it is installed and tuned.

Where is everyone going for harnesses? I am thinking of just calling painless and dumping the 700 bones.

·
Registered
933 Posts
We just gutted a tj at the shop and its ready for a 5.3 nv4500 and a built 231. The customer wants headers and i recommended stainless. Does anyone know who offers stainless headers that will fit?

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
5.3 Vortec, SM465 and Atlas 3.8, but won't be finished until late Jan. Talked to Advanced Adapters and few people who have done it and my understanding is that the possibilities are limitless, just depends on what you are going to do and what you expect out of it, but most of all, what you like...auto or man. I mean.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
anyone ran the stock 5speed with the 5.3 for mild duty and day to day driving?
It was my understanding when I went shopping that they never offered the 5.3 with a manual tranny. If they did, what would it have been in?

·
Registered
385 Posts
We just gutted a tj at the shop and its ready for a 5.3 nv4500 and a built 231. The customer wants headers and i recommended stainless. Does anyone know who offers stainless headers that will fit?
I actually picked up a set of Mac mid-length headers for 98-02 LS1 F-bodies and they fit my Scrambler damn near perfect. I like em better than any other non-custom ones I've seen for Jeeps and they'll make more power than shorties. I got them for $125 shipped and I see them for sale on ls1tech.com pretty often for under $200. Not sure if they're offered in stainless but I think ceramic coating is a better option regardless.

Oh, and I was gonna put a 5.3 in my Scrambler but now I'm going with a mildly build LQ4 6.0. Same size and all the important stuff for a swap is the same. For a harness I might just do it myself, but I've heard good things about Speartech standalone harnesses for about $500. I've got several buddies who've gotten LSX tunes from Nelson Performance with great results, and once you buy the initial tune they'll re-tune it for free I think.

I'll be running a built 700R4 behind it with a 231-300 doubler. An adapter to the 300 was the same price as the doubler so it was a no brainer. All you have to do is swap a 27 spline input shaft from a 231, 241, or I think 208 into whatever 231 case you have and no adapter is required besides the stock one. I'm using the whole 241 6-pinion planetary in my 231 case. I won't be surprised if I break the t-case(s) with 425+hp but I couldn't swing the extra $2k for an Atlas at this point. Once the initial sticker shock for the full build is over I'll probably upgrade it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
http://www.fuelinjection.com/

For your computer and fuel pump.

I've had mine in for a few years now. plenty of power and easy to maintain.

Switched to Royal Purple since it can sit for months at a time and I only need to change the oil once a year.

See sig for drivtrain setup.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It was my understanding when I went shopping that they never offered the 5.3 with a manual tranny. If they did, what would it have been in?
my Bad Todd,, left out stock TJ 5speed to 5.3

21 - 40 of 6859 Posts