Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 6859 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
yes, i ran a stock 3550 with a ls 2. put a 4ls0e in. i have a bell housing and clutch flywheel if anybody wants them. mase

·
Registered
4 Posts
5.3/4l60e/dana 300 help

I am having clearance issues with the front driveshaft with the engine swap that i am doing in my 82 cj8. the front driveshaft hits the trans pan. any help, pics or anything would be agreat help. :( any good shops in the Boulder, co area would be helpful, also.

·
Registered
385 Posts
why did you guys decide on 5.3 instead of a 6.0? Just considering options for myself.
Availability and money are the 2 biggest reasons. I originally got a high mileage 5.3 for dirt cheap from a buddy and was gonna build it into a high compression 5.7, but by the time I did all the machine work and got all the accessories and sh1t taken care of it made more sense to just go with a 6.0.....so that's what I did. Stock 5.3s complete with harness, computer, and all accessories can easily be had for under $1k depending on location. I paid $1400 for my 6.0.

I am having clearance issues with the front driveshaft with the engine swap that i am doing in my 82 cj8. the front driveshaft hits the trans pan. any help, pics or anything would be agreat help. :( any good shops in the Boulder, co area would be helpful, also.
Common problem. Even with a small OD driveshaft it's very tight but doable. I switched to drivers drop partly for that reason since the trans pan is offset way to the passenger side. You could do a 2 piece driveshaft with a pillow block to offset it to clear the trans, or just go small OD 1 piece like lots of people do.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I did the 6.0L. From a swap perspective there is no real difference, so it's whatever you can get most easily/cheaply.

Good luck.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Only way I could do my front passenger drop driveline was a 2 piece set up with a carrier.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
do you have pics of this??? I had a 4x4 shop swap a 5.3, 700r4 and dana 300 in my 83 cj...they said the front drive shaft will be a 2 piece with carrier bearing. No big deal i guess, i just wanted to see how other were building these shafts.

Also does anyone have pics of there oil pans for the 5.3's I feel like the truck pan hangs down really low, and i dont like it at all. I dont know if its because of the way this shop mounted the motor or what, but its to low for my comfort. I was thinking of swapping out oil pans, but i dont know if anyone has done that before or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
do you have pics of this??? I had a 4x4 shop swap a 5.3, 700r4 and dana 300 in my 83 cj...they said the front drive shaft will be a 2 piece with carrier bearing. No big deal i guess, i just wanted to see how other were building these shafts.

Also does anyone have pics of there oil pans for the 5.3's I feel like the truck pan hangs down really low, and i dont like it at all. I dont know if its because of the way this shop mounted the motor or what, but its to low for my comfort. I was thinking of swapping out oil pans, but i dont know if anyone has done that before or not.
I am currently in the middle of the swap into a TJ.

For better clearance I changed to a LS1 oil pan and pickup tube off a 98-02 Camaro. I got mine off CL, but think their are aftermarket companies that offer them.

What headers does everyone run between the TJ frame rails? I was thinking about using Edelbrock Shorty Headers with Ti-Tech Coating. They are $291 from Summit Racing. Deal or No Deal?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

For better clearance I changed to a LS1 oil pan and pickup tube off a 98-02 Camaro. I got mine off CL, but think their are aftermarket companies that offer them.

What headers does everyone run between the TJ frame rails? I was thinking about using Edelbrock Shorty Headers with Ti-Tech Coating. They are $291 from Summit Racing. Deal or No Deal?

what is CL???

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I...What headers does everyone run between the TJ frame rails? I
Block huggers from AA coated and fabbed my own crossover to run in front of the truck pan and down the passenger side.

·
Registered
168 Posts

I am running the Edelbrock Shorty Headers (rear dump) with ceramic coating. They fit great. I also ordered them from Summit. Part # EDL-65002

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am running the Edelbrock Shorty Headers (rear dump) with ceramic coating. They fit great. I also ordered them from Summit.
I spoke with Steve at AA and he claims they don't make a header for the 5.3 swap into a TJ. The headers they make will get into the upper control arm mount and motor mounts.

Guess I will order the Edelbrock Shorty's today.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I spoke with Steve at AA and he claims they don't make a header for the 5.3 swap into a TJ...
any center outlet blockhugger should work. Speedway sells some nice ones that aren't too expensive.

Hmmm, mine are AA center dump block huggers. I welded the flange on the collector so that I could get them coated, and they are working fine. The AA guys tend to know their stuff, so you might ask them what the deal is.

Here is the view from underneath. The front drive shaft is out, but the control arms are in.

Good luck!

41 - 60 of 6859 Posts