Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting a 5.3 in my 3rd gen toyota pickup, and the best solution I have found to getting the motor as low as possible, while keeping the exhaust manageable is flipping my C6 manifolds upside down (much like the turbo guys do), and switching them side to side. Yes the front of the frame will be fabricated to allow more uptravel with links, but widening the frame at the motor while it necks back down to meet the factory frame at the firewall is something I would rather not do.

My concerns are as follows:

Heat soak from the manifolds being flipped affecting performance and possibly affecting the factory fuel rails by letting them absorb too much heat via convection. I know I have seen plenty of fabricated headers going up and over the intake manifold (much more severe than this setup), but I never read any of the issues faced performance wise and parts wise when doing this.

Also, I am worried about heat conduction on the factory plug wires, and possibly having to relocate the coil packs due to their proximity to the flipped manifolds. I will most definitely run sleeves over the wires to keep them from melting all to hell, but If i don't have to relocate the coil packs I would rather not.

So in a nutshell....has anyone here done this and what issues did you encounter. What preventative measures did you take to deal with these issues?

Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

-Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Get them coated at least to help contain the heat in them, won't solve all your concerns but should help a lot.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
You'll have to relocate the coil packs. Your exhaust will be all over your engine bay. Personally, I would get some block hugger headers or something and find a way to run it down.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should just start chopping the frame, stab this pos in there, and then see what fits and what doesnt. Like any person, Id rather try and use what I have instead of buying yet another set of manifolds/headers.

My plan of action was to make a heat shield between the coil packs and the exhaust flanges, and the exhaust routing would pretty much go 180* back down from the flange of the manifold and run down the side next to the bellhousing...pretty simple in my :homer: mind.

Thanks for the input, just seeing what other provisions ppl have had to make in this type of exhaust situation.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep those. They'll flow better than any aftermarket header that will fit in the same space.
That's what I have read.

Maybe coating them, and making an aluminum heat shield that mounds on the same studs as the coil pack mounts will help my situation.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
You can heat shield your coil packs but I don't see your plug wires surviving, even with boots or sleeves on them.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
you should be able to remount your coilpacks under the exhaust ports, the new TrentFab buggies are that way with the exhaust coming up and over the intake, probably has a heat shield over the intake too i would guess?

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good advice on just moving the coils down to the frame and running them under the manifolds. That route sounds like it could be my best option.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Scott, take a look at the LS3 manifolds from the late model Camaro's. They dump further to the rear of the block and not in the center like the C6s you have there.

I plan on running the C6s because they fit well with the way i have the engine mounted in my truck.

Just another option to consider. Its fun stuffing 10lbs of shit into a 5lb sack huh?

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott, take a look at the LS3 manifolds from the late model Camaro's. They dump further to the rear of the block and not in the center like the C6s you have there.

I plan on running the C6s because they fit well with the way i have the engine mounted in my truck.

Just another option to consider. Its fun stuffing 10lbs of shit into a 5lb sack huh?
Yeah Ive looked into the LS3 manifolds and for where im planning on raising the frame its not much better. Im hoping this way i can get my motor and tranny/transfer mounted as low and as far back as possible. And yes, Im just starting to stuff this crap into the bag...much more than the old 4.3 in the 4runner.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you looked in to the holly cast manifolds? They flow the same as the car mi idols but fit tighter still and the exhaust exits pointed rearward more. I'm using them in my build in my sig.
I took a look at how yours fit and it looks like that could be a solution. I would rather run what I have now, and honestly I think I will be able to get my motor even lower and thus further back with how I have it now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts