Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i pulled the 4.0 and i will start fitting the 5.3 tomorrow. Is there any reason to keep any of the 4.0L wiring or pcm if i am not going to use the gauge cluster??? I have been looking at some wiring diagrams and i don't think i need to keep it, but you guys who have done v8 swaps already may know something i don't. also is there anything else i should look out for?
Thanks for all your help guys:D

·
Registered
701 Posts
No if your not going to use the stock gauge cluster then you can get rid of most of the wiring harness. You'll want to keep the heater, turn signal stuff and things like that, but for the engine and ECM rip it out.

What are you doing for gauges? And Why the 5.3?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you doing for gauges? And Why the 5.3?[/QUOTE said:
I was going to go with an LS! but they are too expensive..I found this 5.3 with 18K and the 4L60e with 13K for $2200. I am going to run some auto meter gauges or something like that :).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The 4.0 stuff is throwaway. The more important question is; what do you need to salvage from the 5.3 donor. The quick answer is: "Everything!" (i.e. If it has a wire on it, grab it!)

The 5.3 is a common TJ swap and you should be able to get a lot of support.

Good luck!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well here is a link for an idea on your instrument cluster. http://www.joewest.org/Instrument_Panel.htm

Even all these asshats think I am going to give you crap about your 5.3 swap I am not. You didn't ask why or which engine you asked for help. So I'll try and give you some. Not like some people on here. :shaking::shaking::eek::(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another question for you guys...the 5.3 need 55psi fuel pressure and the jeeps fuel pump only puts out 45psi...did you have the jeep pump feed another external pump or is there a better way

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have read a few swap threads that stated they kept the stock jeep pump and it worked fine. I swapped a GM pump into my tank on the last v-8 swap that I done. I plan on this exact swap that you are doing in the near future, just trying to dig everything up and have it sitting here before pulling my motor.
What adapters are you using? Transfer case? Post up some pics.

·
Registered
701 Posts
another question for you guys...the 5.3 need 55psi fuel pressure and the jeeps fuel pump only puts out 45psi...did you have the jeep pump feed another external pump or is there a better way
My stock pump puts out 50 PSI and as the other poster said I have heard of people running the stock pumps no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Yep, don't confuse what the regulated rail pressure is/was, with what the pumps are capable of producing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have read a few swap threads that stated they kept the stock jeep pump and it worked fine. I swapped a GM pump into my tank on the last v-8 swap that I done. I plan on this exact swap that you are doing in the near future, just trying to dig everything up and have it sitting here before pulling my motor.
What adapters are you using? Transfer case? Post up some pics.
How well does the gm pump fit into the tank? I am using novak conversions adapters..i will try to get some pics tonight

·
Registered
97 Posts
i'm running my stock YJ pump...seems to hold up ok so far...

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
swap the fuel tower with one out of an old gm to get a 0-90ohm sender and to just have lines and a sock runnin to the bottom of the tank. then just throw a frame rail pump in. dont screw with the stock stuff just not worth it when you really need to run bigger supply and return lines.

as far as the wiring ive done a few of these do a search for my name you can find the pin outs to the gauge cluster for building a new one. and i also have shots of how to build a new cluster with aftermarket gauges with it still lookn stock.

i would just unhook the engine harness but i wouldnt cut anything else. you may need to fiddle with it a bit if your going from a 5spd to an auto to get the neutral saftey switch to work.

i did a ramjet and a 700r4 in a tj a while back and just did a 4.3 and a 4l60e in a tj this year. made the 4.3 look stock inside and out its not hard to do.

if you have any questions or need some tech help just shoot me a pm or something.

DP

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am having trouble figuring out how to run my speedo. There is the VSS that is in the tailshaft of the transmission which goes into the PCM...do i just tie into that somehow? or is there an ouput on the PCM that runs the speedo? cant find a diagram of the two conectors that go to the pcm..one is green and one is blue..is a 2005 5.3L...if anyone has a diagram i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts