Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if jack will sell the caps alone in my opinion this wold be a great combo- don't get me wrong i think those 300 m joints all together are kik ass- but not all of us can afford it- if we could get a little stronger joint for say 75$ - now there you go- run the 5-760 cross throw the caps away- and run stronger caps and your on your way! Jess :D

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
me too- these things all start as a dream you know - but if prodded enough become reality- Jess :D

·
Fabster
2,529 Posts
ctm caps are not 300m. You guys need to talk to captin america. he has what your looking for.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hell yeah, I'd replace the cap on my 760x's. That would be a hot setup because I definately can't afford a whole set of nice joints right now and probably won't be able to for about another year...

·
Registered
758 Posts
OK. I'm going to show my newbie status here and ask a question and take the risk of looking stupid (never learn anything if you don't!!)

It always appeared to me the cross was the weak link in the ujoint design ALONG WITH the caps wanting to get spit out. So the idea was to go to full circle c-clips on the caps to improve that weak point.

Now my question, how does making the cap stronger help improve the joint's strength? Seems like you would still spit the cap just as easy because it is up to the c-clip to hold that in.

(a little confused...........please un-confused me)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Seems like you would still spit the cap just as easy because it is up to the c-clip to hold that in.
Weld'em in. They WON"T spit out. I kno, on $$$$$ shafts, you guys don't wanna do this, but on stockers, it works killer.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Randy said:
ctm caps are not 300m. You guys need to talk to captin america. he has what your looking for.

Captian american AKA tom has been modifing u joints that are much stronger then normal ones we have been running them welded in and break stub shafts before the joints usually in the thickest part of the shaft right before the yoke. In most cases the u joints survived the shaft breaking. They are cheap to only around [email protected], I think. We have been running them on JMs buggy with 40s for testing. Give tom a call at 425-770-2233 you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
It's a good idea but I don't think a CTM cap is going to fit on a spicer joint. Maybe if you used a thicker bushing than a CTM it would work:confused: I'd like to hear more about this joint that Captain America/Tom came up with...

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One problem with that picture up there- Its a friggen neapco 297 joint to begin with they call it there brute force- they suck sorry- The bushings i'm sure are made well and all - not knocking the guy capt.amer.and all - i'm sure he means well - but starting with that joint -Its walking backwards- Jess

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I've had good luck with the Brute Force joints. Show me some data that says there is a difference between Spicer and Nepco. Is there a chance the part is made in the same factory?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 760 is claimed to be 20-30% stonger than the 297.
there can be alot different from the nepco u-joint to the spicer, for one how they are made, that's all that really is different between 760's and 297's:rolleyes: just a noob's point of view.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
onetoncv said:
One problem with that picture up there- Its a friggen neapco 297 joint to begin with they call it there brute force- they suck sorry- The bushings i'm sure are made well and all - not knocking the guy capt.amer.and all - i'm sure he means well - but starting with that joint -Its walking backwards- Jess
He had some other joints but the place he was getting them quit stocking those and he is having trouble sourcing the same ones that were originaly planned for. But since the switch the amount of failures has remained the same 0 as said the stub shafts break before the joints. He has an idea to realeive this to.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
So what do you guys think the insert is made of?

Heck, I'd try a small piece of DOM if I can find the right size, maybe source some bronze?
Drill some holes for greese zerts?:confused:
What do you think?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
onetoncv said:
Yeah, it seems like the cap (or end of the cap) is going to blow. I want stronger caps!!!

You know, the Brute Force costs MORE than the Spicer that my local driveline shop sells?:confused: Weird. I'll take the Spicers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts