Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched on here and nothing came up. I am looking at swapping either a set of 5.2l heads or 5.9l RT heads on my motor but I wanna know if there is anything else involved to do or should I do to make this swap work. Has anyone else done this be for and was it worth the swap. I have a wrangler with the 5.9l gas engine out of a 2000 ram 1500. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
So you are wanting to swap a set of Magnum heads for another set of Magnum heads?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ig thats what the heads are then yes. Im not sure what all is involved in the swap and if it is really worth the swap. I'm still looking for info but not much luck. I'm mostly seeing guys swapping the heads to there 5.2l. I was told the 5.2 head have a closer displacement and helps with hp. Is this true?

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
You should find out what they are smoking and sell it. You could make a killing. The part number for the Magnum heads for a 318 is 53006673, which is also the same part number for the 360. They are the same head, so no swapping those will get you anything. The R/T heads would get you a slight power increase, but they are designed to work with the full R/T set and in my opinion, the power gained is not worth the price of the components.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats why Im trying to find out the truth about the swap. I'm curious to where they got this from because they are a pretty reliable source and he seemed to be very knowledgable about these motors. thanks..

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
The old LA series 360s could have different heads with larger ports and there was a performance gain to swapping to 360 heads and intake on a 318. Magnum engines, which your 360 should be if it came out of a 2000 model, both use the same heads. Every 318 since 1992 is a Magnum, and every 360 since 1993 is a Magnum. Look at your valve covers, if they use 10 bolts to secure them, it's a Magnum engine. Also, Magnums have vertical intake bolts while LA series use angled bolts. There are a lot of differences in the designs of the two series, but mainly in the heads and intake.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. Whats your opinion on the edelbrock heads for my motor. Isn't there mix matching parts from push rods and valve's ect. in this swap?

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
i have never used a set of Edelbrock heads but the sets I have seen the owners seem happy with them. And yes, the Edelbrock Magnum heads require aftermarket adjustable rocker arms and hardened pushrods. They should come with valves, springs and retainers so you shouldn't need to worry about those but they do recommend using their Air-Gap manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
It is true that all Magnum series engines use the same head, but the R/T heads are a big improvement over the stock heads usually in the neighborhood of 30-40 HP and are not as likely to crack as the oem heads. You can get them for ~450.00 each bare. Definately a good investment on a 360.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
i have never used a set of Edelbrock heads but the sets I have seen the owners seem happy with them. And yes, the Edelbrock Magnum heads require aftermarket adjustable rocker arms and hardened pushrods. They should come with valves, springs and retainers so you shouldn't need to worry about those but they do recommend using their Air-Gap manifold.
THe Edelbrock heads flow about the same as the R/T heads, and are about 1400 a pair. The Air Gap intake is only for carburated applications. The manifold of choice in a 360 magnum ins the Mopar M1 2V intake it is pricey at ~500.00, but it is a single plane manifold that is a direct replacement for the beer keg. It kills the bottom end on the 318, but works great as an all around intake on the 5.9.

The newcomer on the scene is the enginequest IR head They were designed as a stock replacement for the magnum enigine (Enginequest is mostly a core supplier for rebuilding shops) due to the OEM heads propensity to cracking, BUT it turns out they flow as well as the R/T heads, and are even cheaper, if you shop around, you can het them for ~500 a pair assembled. In the last Mopar engine shootout something like 8 out of the 10 contestants used these heads, including Indy Cylinder heads entry.

Another thing to consider if you are going deeper than the heads is a 408 stroker kit, the hard parts can be picked up for ~800.00 (Pistons, Rods, Crank) That is for HD stock type rods and a cast crank, but in a truck you are not going to be revving that high, so the cast crank will be fine. (The stock crank is cast) It will still need to be balanced and the block machined, but if you are rebuilding the engine anyway its something to consider.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed that about theedelbrock heads. They are pricey compared to the rt heads. I did also check about a stroker kit. So far i was only able to check out cambell Enterprise and they definitly have good customer service. There kit is around 1400 and that also has the cast crank. I'll have to keep looking. I do believe I'll be going with the R/T heads though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts