:idea:
Yeah, I know I'm a trendsetter :rolleyes:

Here's what I have from the donor truck - '91 D250:
5.9TD w/intercooler & plumbing
*complete wiring harness w/brain
inst. panel
steering column
radiator

This conversion is planned for a '78 FJ40 & I already have the rest of the drivetrain planned out & purchased, except for the auto tranny (D60's w/7.17's/ARB & Detroit/Atlas/42's)

Here's the first stumbling block/dilemma:
Since the donor truck already has provisions for an electronic auto tranny, should I:
1) Use the entire wiring harness, steering col. & inst. panel from the donor truck & use an elec. auto tranny (4L80E)
2) Use the LC harness, inst. panel & run a cable speedo to a non elec auto tranny (727 TF)

I realize I will be splicing both harnesses anyway, but which way would be the most nonconfusing? The donor truck has 3x more wiring than the LC :confused:

I read on here awhile back, someone said not to run the intercooler, why not :confused:

*All opinions are greatly appreciated
:p

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The reason you can't run the intercooler is it won't fit! You can use something like a small VW (1.9) or an old Saab 900 intercooler which is small and out of the way. For example you could mount it to your right or left fender. But it would make for some funky lines between the turbo and intake. Good luck, sounds like a project. Here's a similar setup rig minus the atlas:
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/6btfj40/

·
Banned
471 Posts
Re:Cummins swap

You can use the later Cummins eng. but they're right about the
intercooler situation. You should either try and swap to an early
Cummins or at least swap induction systems. they are compatible
as long as you have non-electronic injection. You will also do better wheeling w/ no intercooler 'cause you need the immediate throttle response and torque and you're not going to be creating
that high of combustion chamber heat or high exhaust heat.
So, my rec/ would be to swap to the earlier non-intercooled induction system, much easier swap,ESPECIALLY w/ wiring!!

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
531 Posts
BA-ROOOTHER is that going to be a L O U D FJ40!

You wont be able to talk while that engine is running!

Cool concept though!

TB

·
Registered
212 Posts
holy crap dude! 7.17s? ive got 4.56s and it wont do 65 on the highway with 42's! a 91 with an o/d trans? anyways, splicing the harnesses? what for ? you need 1 wire for the shut off solenoid 1 for the starter and 2-3 for the alt Im runnin a tf 727 with the 205 youll have to move the ass end back about a foot for your super short driveline. mine is 13.25 inches good luck its one heavy combo total rig weight with a narrowed 60 /70hd is around 5650 lbs. ~3250 up front 2400 rear empty no cage yet toolbox or spare junk in the rear itll be 50/50 !:flipoff2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts