Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 79 toy with a four speed and 20r how hard would it be to swap in a 5 speed and would i need anything special to do it.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Bsides the mounting and running lines for the master ans slave cyl and getting a pedal assembly, it's just cutting hole in the firewall. I had to do this on my donor cab. I cut a chunk from my old cab's firewall (witch was a manual) and kept two mounting holes for the booter so it would be a sure fit. I have the template still, just not sure it's the same for your generation cab is all

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not sure about what Bones is talkin about, but.....

On my 80, a PO had swapped in an Lseries 5 spd, and all I had to do to swap in an R151 was to pull the old tranny, and put the replacement in. I think G52, W56 and R151 are all the same length. The r151 was just under 5" longer than the L-series. Youll have to relocate your stock crossmember or fab one up, or buy one from Budbuilt. You'll also have to cut and lengthen D-shafts.

Other than that, should be a basic pop & swap. You might be able to use your old clutch if its in good shape, too, but since its a 4spd, dont hold me to that. I know if it was a 5spd you can.
you might have to enlarge the shifter hole in the sheetmetal, if the 4spd shifters are not in the same spot as a 5spd.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Cracker said:
Not sure about what Bones is talkin about, but.....
Well, I'm doing a cab swap, donor cab was an auto, my old one was not. Hence the template (from my old cab) to cut out the holes for the clutch mater cylinder. ;)

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
Bones said:

:confused: :confused: What have I posted that is so wrong? It's what I did for a 5 speed swap, guess only I get it :rolleyes:
I understand what you are sayin bones. But the guy is asking if a manual 5 speed will bolt in place of a manual 4 speed, and you are talking about converting from auto to manual.

edit: damn 2 stroke beat me to it

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
DAMN! I need to start smokin then :D

Sorry, I threw in SOME tech, just not one bit usefull in this thread :flipoff2:

[homersimpsonvoice] I NEVER LEARNED HOW TO READ!! [/homersimpsonvoice]

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Yes, it will bolt up, but you will have to rework the x-member and if you plan using the 4 speed t-case you will have to do a lil bit of grinding on the input spines of the t-case

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
I know on a 2X they are near identical - cause I swapped a 4Spd for a 5Spd because my 5Spd blew.

I didn't know it was a 4Spd I dropped in, until I tried shifting to 5th on the road...

You can imagine the look on my face.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Should be able to swap in a L52 for your old L43 and new a 83 or newer slave and should be straight bolt up no drive line mods and cross member should bolt up as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts