Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can get the knuckle out and make a 1/2 ton 8 lug but what are the other methods.

From part #'s and I have found that. The outer bearing is the same, the seal is the same and the lockouts are the same.

you can buy for $100 a hub/rotor assembly from Autozone.

I want to buy this hub/rotor assembly and convert my 5 lug to 8 lug. Will this work? I know my old lockouts will work. But are the lengths the same for the axle shafts. anybody have any experiance.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you're talking all Ford parts, the stubs should be the same. But you're going to need spindles in addition to the hubs -- the bearing inner dias are all different.

Dunno how the caliper brackets line up... I used Chevy parts.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can anybody verifiy that it is a must to get spindles?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You do need the spindle as well. Like stated earlier the inner bearing is larger.

You do not need to get the knuckle. But I would, that way you end up with flat tops, and make high steer easier. The 150 caliper and hanger will bolt to the 250 knuckle, but will not fit the larger diameter of the 250 rotor.

Another nice thing about the 8 lug hub, is that the part that goes around the lock out is alot thicker. So that way you don't have to worry so much about that part cracking and destroying the hub, and making it next to impossible to get your lock out, out.

Your best bet is to grab everything from the knuckle out to convert it. Now you can also grab everything from a GM knuckle out, including the stub axle.

If you search around you will find lots, I mean lots of info on this.

The funny thing is right now I am going from 8 lug to 5 lug, guess I'm backwards on this.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
First, there is a split for Dana 44 3/4 ton hubs. You'll want the 77.5-79 style, as it is more common and runs the same lock out as the 1/2 tons.
The other style is for disk brakes is 76-77.5, it uses a much larger hub and lockout. Pic

Second knuckle, here is a pic for you. From my Dana 44 flat top article. This shows where the 1/2 ton is notched for the caliper.

Spindels, I've seen people post different stories. Dana book for a 1978 shows a 1/2 ton using 706110x for an inner wheel bearing, a 77.5-79 using a 706074x and a 76 using 706139x. They all have the same outer bearing. One thing, you can't go wrong getting the proper 3/4 ton spindle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts