Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any comparison pics of 2.5-ton vs. 5-ton ujoints/shafts? What's the weight diff? Any sites with detailed specs would be great. Had decided on 2.5-ton stuff but may be changing my mind. BTW, I did check the archives already but couldn't find exactly what I need. Thanks.
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
Cant give you exact numbers, but I do know that a 5 ton axle weight a WHOLE LOT more than a 2.5 ton axle. And the 3rd member is HUGE; quite a bit bigger than the 2.5 ton axles.

Why would you need a 5 ton axle anyway?

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
ohhh man. Don't even go there, dude. 5 tons are strictly for monster trucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
You could just about double the weight of a rig by adding 5 tons. LOL

They really are huge. I have seen a stack of them 4 high by maybe, 20 long. That was an incredibly large stack, let me tell you.

Not really trail rig material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
ohhh man. Don't even go there, dude. 5 tons are strictly for monster trucks.
And only OLD SCHOOL monster trucks at that. You know that if they are too heavy for a 10,000# vehicle, that they are too heavy for a trail machine.

Sean
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
Actually, the housings and hubs are too weak for monster trucks; The center sections are still used. If a guy wanted to run 66x44" Goodyears, then 5 tons would be the way to go... Forget carrying a fullsize spare though... The only foreseeable advantage would be a low roll center/half your vehicle weight being unsprung... For 5 tons you'd need at least a 20" rim, and getting boggers for something that big is a pain in the nutz. There's not many pliable tires out there that'll be good for wheeling while underneath a pickup..

Of course, if you're looking for high-zoot and no broken axle shafts, get em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
MR4WD said:
Actually, the housings and hubs are too weak for monster trucks; The center sections are still used. If a guy wanted to run 66x44" Goodyears, then 5 tons would be the way to go... Forget carrying a fullsize spare though... The only foreseeable advantage would be a low roll center/half your vehicle weight being unsprung... For 5 tons you'd need at least a 20" rim, and getting boggers for something that big is a pain in the nutz. There's not many pliable tires out there that'll be good for wheeling while underneath a pickup..

Of course, if you're looking for high-zoot and no broken axle shafts, get em.
All of the new monster trucks that I see that are running 66x44's are running ZF axles as reddwarf said.

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
liveaxle said:




Sorry to change the subject but what are ZF axles?


:)
ZF is a german manufacturer of equipment/components. I would do a search for you tto find there website, but I am tired, and about to go to sleep. They make some pretty sweet stuff though.

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
2.5 = riduculous
5 = stupid
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
Station said:


All of the new monster trucks that I see that are running 66x44's are running ZF axles as reddwarf said.

Sean
So? What does that mean to me?

I saw a cloud shaped like a Bic lighter today. My friend will back me up on that. Does that mean that all clouds are shaped like bic lighters??

Edit: Go here http://www.truckworld.com/Monster-Trucks/Monsters-Monthly/2000-may/monster-tech1.html

and ZF is here. http://www.zf.com that site is about as much fun as punching yourself in the face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
damn, daniel that's a really good idea...

the thinking cap goes on...

OK, question- what did you do about the inner axle seals??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
New Look For The Cruiser

check out this rockwell!!!


Man, I am gonna do that to mine this week, check the chrome pinion flange cover, BWAHAHAHA!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
Hmmm....4x4x4...do you suppose it's 4wd?

The 80's were great, but sometimes I'm glad they're over:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
Hmmm....4x4x4...do you suppose it's 4wd?
dude, you forgot one, it's 4x4x4x4.

So daniel is the expert whn it comes to anything more than 4x4. This one we need help to figure out, though...

If 6x6 is 6 wheel drive and 8x8 is 8 wheel drive, then WTF is 4x4x4x4!!!???

could that be like redneck algebra???

My guess is it's too complicated for me to figure out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
how the hell do you even know that crap??

I knew if anyone knew wtf they were talkin' about, it'd be you...

although, i gotta call BS on the part about "4 live axles with detroits", cause that would be part of the aforementioned "4 wheel drive"

maybe i just don't understand the redneck math??...
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top