full hydro steering front & rear
107-110" wheel base
4 seats
Fox CO's
4 link front & rear
6.0 Chev power
atlas -OR-
PRP seats

Requested completion Nov 2014.............................

Chassis base design has been completed

All parts and tubes have been cut, out of 10 full length sticks I have VERY minimal cut off waste! Bend tech :smokin:

currently processing all parts and setting up the "part" numbers via bend programming.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered up some creepy crawlers yesterday 40x13.5x17R. In stock so ships next day(should be here by end of day) After talking with Maxxis guys at Moab this year about the tread design and the rubber compound "spring back" property's they should be an outstanding tire. We have not ran them yet but can't wait to through on so new shoes on my rig also! Talked about the street/ trail use and that's when the conversation turned to an educational study of rubber compound vs. memory or spring back. Very interesting stuff.

We are now getting killer pricing on Maxxis tires so it seemed fitting to try them out. Also its the preferred tire that Jack (owner of this build) asked for.

We already picked up a rear steering 14 bolt all setup with ram and all.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next day shipping gotta love it! Damn these things look good:smokin:

Had a new chassis table made, 4x4 top, white for pencil layout & build notes, has full adjustable rubber pad feet. Very modular and easy to use and when your done with it a breaks down flat or you take it with you on the first wheeling trip and burn it!

Really like the JD2 Part/ bend programming options. the auto stop really makes it easy to use, just about mindless once all set up. The rotary & gantry attachment helps give us same results bend after bend. Very happy with this equipment so far! All of the "base" chassis design is bent up and ready for notching!

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Off road jack spec/ pic

Todd, this Hijack is for you buddy

At full PSI I have never had any issues with the jack in 5 years. Its used by everyone when we go out, once unloaded it becomes the community jack.:) Used by guys with 2.5 ton axles and 44" tires no issues (minus the jack creaking)

If you cant see it they are 300lb rated per tire

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Thanks for the info :smokin: on the jack!

The bottom of the frame looks awesome too, looking forward to the rest of the build :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Piece by piece making progress:flipoff2:

Having a hell of a time finding Motor, trans, transfer -L96, LQ4, LQ9 on the west coast! All I can seem to locate is one here and there on the East coast, what the hell!

4l80e's are no where to be found either. I have a couple connections with PYP yard owners and they are reaching all the way out to AZ with nothing....they reply with "if you can find it on the East coast, buy it!"

Well ordered up some JJ, bungs and some other misc items from Currie/ RT-233 wheels from Raceline!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
car-part.com, they're all over the place here. Yards are scrapping them because they can't sell them before more come in.

I bought my LY6 from Coutus Truck Country in Willimantic, Connecticut. I only mention it because when I picked mine up, they had half a dozen complete 6.0's and 5.3's palatalized, with PCM and harness, heading to California.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see that there are a lot of options out there and motors are available but I still am not finding what I want. I have talked with people from west coast to the east coast and if ones available then they want 5-7K for the motor and acc. (low miles) Then wiring/ ECM flash to get 400HP just not feeling it. I have been going back and forth talking with Andrew from 40spline about motors, turns out I am working out a deal with him to start providing me with 510hp 6.0 motors (LY6) Mast motor sports setup, plug and play(for me). He will also be handling the trans Turbo 400 build (source on the East coast)to support heavy use. Then bundled all up and shipped over to the west coast for abuse.

I have leave messages with Stak transfer cases but cant seem to get anyone to call me back/ anyone know if they are producing them yet? Website says they are shipping.....

Will try AA solution, 3.8:1 ratio transfer case

BTW I don't have the pictures loaded yet but the chassis is completed, started tearing down the rear end today.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can see that there are a lot of options out there and motors are available but I still am not finding what I want. I have talked with people from west coast to the east coast and if ones available then they want 5-7K for the motor and acc. (low miles) Then wiring/ ECM flash to get 400HP just not feeling it. I have been going back and forth talking with Andrew from 40spline about motors, turns out I am working out a deal with him to start providing me with 510hp 6.0 motors (LY6) Mast motor sports setup, plug and play(for me). He will also be handling the trans Turbo 400 build (source on the East coast)to support heavy use. Then bundled all up and shipped over to the west coast for abuse.

I have leave messages with Stak transfer cases but cant seem to get anyone to call me back/ anyone know if they are producing them yet? Website says they are shipping.....

Will try AA solution, 3.8:1 ratio transfer case

BTW I don't have the pictures loaded yet but the chassis is completed, started tearing down the rear end today.
Hey Travis, subscribing for updates on the build! Glad we were able to help you out with parts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stak is no more. Look into Trail Worthy Fab's "Hero" case. They are building 2 and 3spds t-cases.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stak is no more. Look into Trail Worthy Fab's "Hero" case. They are building 2 and 3spds t-cases.
Thanks for the new lead. Zero failures......then I guess it does deserve the "Hero" name.:smokin:

Little update, rear axle was pulled apart and everything looks good inside. Cut most of the brackets off as we are going with Currie JJ's not rod ends and need 2.5" ID width on the tabs.

Meyers straightened the axle within a 1/16" end to end and checked the caster. Hopefully it won't move too much after welding on all the new brackets:flipoff2: Bob does some amazing work and with same day to next day turn around for the price he's hard to beat.

Front axle was purchased and shipped, Dana 60 (Ford hp) will go with Artec truss and brackets

Not much progress but will start ordering all the misc. stuff items next week. So we should get busy with suspension over the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Checking in to report on our end of this build. Travis and I got to talking about his needs and after several weeks and many back and forth emails he settled on one hell of a setup for his customer. For the engine, we are going with a low mileage LY6 from a 2009 Chevy Silverado. This particular motor has 30k miles on the clock and isn't even broken in. This is a GEN IV 6.0L iron block, has the big daddy LS3 aluminum heads, and the smooth power band of VVT with DBW throttle. Travis' customer wanted 500+ hp (and who wouldn't) with no hassle so once we heard that we knew there was only one option. We decided to hook him up with the Mast Motorsports 510hp LY6 SS performance package. This is a turn key solution to make a dyno proven 509hp with turn key reliability and no hassle. The kit comes with a completely loomed, labeled and idiot proof harness, stand alone ECM, O2 sensors, DBW corvette gas pedal, valve springs, air filter, and VVT cam which will provide smooth power throughout the curve. No dyno needed, just hook it all up, provide power, ground, and fuel, and peel out.

To hold all that power we decided on a PTC built TH400 as well as a PTC built performance torque converter. We can't stress enough the importance of a good TC, and getting one from the same guys that build the tranny is a plus. PTC has a proven track record of success and we use them for all our tranny builds. After hearing how the buggy will get used I personally recommended a standard valve body over the performance reverse manual valve body. This will allow the owner to select D and booze cruise all day or he can shift and the transmission will hold the gear.

Finally, in order to take the headache of piecing together a fuel system for this beast, we're providing Travis with a complete AN fuel system that will make Travis' life a lot easier when it comes down to the final details of this build. Parts are just starting to arrive so I will post pictures as they come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Home for HMW

Home sweet home....

All moved into the new shop ready to start back at it! Well all moved in might be pushing it......all the equipment has been unloaded and thrown into the shop & most tool bins are rolled in. We will start back up next week when things get organized!:flipoff2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts