Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great job on that bumper, looks like a pro did it. It'l keep you from smashing that driver fender again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how thick is the material?
I used 1/4" for the top plate (winch mount) and the front, and 3/16" for the top of the ends and gussets. It turned out pretty nice, at least I'm happy with it, so that is all that really matters. Now to find some heavy wall pipe for the brush guard.
My buddy just pulled in yesterday, and of course now he wants one. I'm going to build a rear bumper this week, so I'll post some pictures of it also. Maybe even post it in the hardcore section! :laughing:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, built another, and addes some fog light holes, that was a CHORE! Also, took another picture of the first bumper, that has already mowed over it's fair share of trees.

Attachments

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Nice work. My real question is where are you buying your steel to get that done for 50$? I'm guessing you had to make a couple of cuts more than once (it happens) and the price of that stuff has gone through the roof.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Very nice the fab work looks really clean. I question the strength tho if the bottom of the bumper hits a rock, it looks like the piece of steel hanging down beneath the piece that attaches to the bottom of the frame will just roll under because theres nothing supporting it, even with it being 3/16" . Or does this get braces somehow in the final finishing of the bumper???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to buy enough to build 5 bumpers at a time to get this price. I just about have it figured out now to make 1 cut and they fit nicely. As for the last bumper built and the 3/16" hanging below the frame, I made a steering skid box, which attached to the bumper, then yes added 1 brace to the passenger side.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's exactly the bumper I've been drawing up and playing with on CAD. Any chance you'd share your cut pattern and save me some time?? Nice work on all of them by the way.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's exactly the bumper I've been drawing up and playing with on CAD. Any chance you'd share your cut pattern and save me some time?? Nice work on all of them by the way.

CAD?? LOL? I use WV CAD (cardboard). Yes, I could just send you cardboard templates if it helps. The top plate I have bent on the end 90* by the steel shop that I bought it from, but I have also just welded a plate on the front.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The cad drawings are because I have to take an hour long lunch and get bored, and the cad software is on the pc. Cardboard was the next step. If I get desparate I may hit you up for the templates. It will be a challenge to see if I can match the quality of your work though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts