Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
Now I'm thinking NORRA Mexican 1000 next year.:smokin:
Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been meaning to update this for a while now. Last year I had a lot of fun with this rig, and wheeled Walker Valley, Evans Creek, and Naches in Washington State. I had a couple minor bugs pop up, like Transfer case shifter linkage issues, but its been pretty trouble free.

I also put about 1500 road mile on it. I even took it on a 4 hour round trip to Seattle and back on the freeway. People freaked out. It was awesome.

I even drive it to work in the summer.

But late last year I decided to commit to one of the inspirations for this build, and entered the 2017 NORRA Mexican 1000. This year marks their 50th anniversary, so its shaping up to be bigger than before. I'm less than 2 months away, and still can't believe I'll be racing next to legends, and a fleet of legendary desert cars! So the last few months have been busy upgrading and prepping the truck. The biggest issue was upgrading the suspension. Fullstack Motorsports (Pcoplin on here) is helping out in a huge way, supplying the racetractor team with Fox Factory shocks and bumps.

Some of the first goodies to arrive:

I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the Fox pieces, especially compared to the crap that was on the truck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
The shock mounts and tabs on the truck were built to FOA's shorter eye to eye measurements. That's fine for a more compact installation, but sucks if you're upgrading to different shocks. King, Fox, and Radflos all mount with longer but similar dimensions. I had a lot of time in the rear upper mount and didn't want to cut it out and start over. I carefully measured my travel at the bypass, and confirmed that a Fox 2.5" x 12" coil over would fit perfectly in place of the 14" FOA and not restrict travel. You can also see the clamp style 2.5" cans that were cut off and converted to pin mount for the Fox bumps.

New stuff installed. I kept my spring rates the same, but noticed the preload changed a bit with the shorter springs. Might have to play with rates again.

The front is a bigger project and I'm still trying to make everything fit. I wanted to add bypasses to the front, but I don't have much room. One of the chassis tubes was bent to fit around the alternator pulley. This prevented me from moving the top mount forward to allow for bypass space. The top mounts also had to be raised up (and still fit under the hood) to allow for the longer Foxes.

Chassis tube and front bump can cut out.

I shortened the upper alternator bracket. I wish I had though of this before.

checking clearances with the new straighter tube in and raised coil over mounts/tabs done. New bump cans in too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Looks great, JB! Still not sure where you're gonna put those front bypasses, you have magic hands! :smokin:
Yeah, its going to be tight. Originally I had piggyback style bypasses for the front, but as you can see, there's no room for the reservoir when testing clearances with another coil over body.

With a recessed upper mount, these will fit.

Here's lower mounts. I had to stack them on top of the link tabs to make them as low as possible.

Some other stuff:

Re-ran my fuel vent to comply with NORRA tech, and changed out the fill hose to eliminate a kink. Still have to make a bracket back here to carry a spare driveshaft.

Had to change out the fill neck on the cell from the 45 to a straight with a 90.

Filled the cell with these.

·
Registered
198 Posts
are those practice golf balls?
think they are fuel safe?

this looks like a good idea I am hesitant to put a cell with foam in it because I have heard of so many coming apart

121 - 140 of 162 Posts