Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
are those practice golf balls?
think they are fuel safe?
They are poly (baseball size) wiffle balls that I bought on Amazon. $150 was enough to do the 22 gallon cell. I soaked one in diesel for about a month with no signs of degradation. I have no idea if they would hold up in gasoline.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks great. I ran into the same problem on my truggy when trying to upgrade from Sway-a-ways to some Fox internal bypasses. Nearly a 4in difference and would have had to practically re-backhalf the truck.

Good luck racing. Making the switch from trail-rig to racecar is expensive! Looking forward to seeing it race ready.

·
Registered
15,492 Posts
They are poly (baseball size) wiffle balls that I bought on Amazon. $150 was enough to do the 22 gallon cell. I soaked one in diesel for about a month with no signs of degradation. I have no idea if they would hold up in gasoline.
can you post a link to the balls on amazon? im building a buggy with a cummins and have had a hell of time finding foam or balls for diesel to put in my fuel cell

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
can you post a link to the balls on amazon? im building a buggy with a cummins and have had a hell of time finding foam or balls for diesel to put in my fuel cell
Here you go. I got white and yellow ones in a package deal. I didn't use the yellow ones as they seemed to soften up in fuel.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sports-Practice-Training-Baseballs/dp/B003WY5MVI/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1488344338&sr=1-2&keywords=champion+sports+plastic+baseballs

Very cool project! What kind of MPG do you get?
I have no idea what it gets on trail runs except that a tank will last a weekend of moderate trail wheeling. On the long road trip I made last summer I think it did 19 mpg.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Good luck racing. Making the switch from trail-rig to racecar is expensive! Looking forward to seeing it race ready.
Thanks. It's definitely more work then I thought it would be. I picked up some used 39" KRT's today. It's going to look weird with smaller tires on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I kept up with this build on PNWJEEP and just re-read the whole thing again. I love this truck and good luck in the Mexican 1000. I cant wait to read a trip report about it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow that's a awesome build. One question. What's the purpose of the wiffle balls in the fuel cell?
Work as a fuel baffle, diesel has a fondness for foaming up when agitated...something anyone who has ever tried to top off a tank of diesel at the pumps has found out....those last 5 gallons or so won't go in until the foam dies down. And you don't want any of it in the pickup line as it causes bigger problems than in a gasser.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Work as a fuel baffle, diesel has a fondness for foaming up when agitated...something anyone who has ever tried to top off a tank of diesel at the pumps has found out....those last 5 gallons or so won't go in until the foam dies down. And you don't want any of it in the pickup line as it causes bigger problems than in a gasser.
Thanks that makes sense.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Fawking photobucket! I'm planning on updating this thread with Mexican 1000 stuff, but I'm going to try to fix the rest of the photo links.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Well, most of the photolinks are repaired, but it looks like I may have lost some of the earlier ones.:(

As usual for me, the last couple months leading up to the Norra Mexican 1000 was way too hectic. Finished up the front suspension.

Finally bought my set of TrailReady HD's and was lucky enough to have a sponsor, H&R Spring, supply us with 5 new 39" BFG KR2's for the race.

With just a few days left before we headed South for Mexico, The Racetractor team took the truck over to Eastern Washington to meet up with Fullstack Motorsports for a shock tuning session.

We spent about a day and a half beating on the truck, and picked up 20 mph through this section!
https://www.facebook.com/FullStackMotorsports/videos/231072277296672/

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
And then.....

We broke it.

The solid hub clutch disc and stock NV4500 input shaft were the wrong choice for bouncing off the tops of whoops.

We were due to leave in just a few days after this happened, so my amazing group of friends worked almost around the clock to get the truck fixed. A friend from NORRA, Bryant Blakemore, got me in touch with Dan at Valair clutch, and had a new 1 3/8" input and clutch setup shipped to us in the nick of time. The new clutch works great!

Some earlier stuff I forgot to mention: We decided to re-gear the truck to get more speed out of it, but due to costs, only did the rear axle. Our thought was we could use 4wd if needed in loose dirt even with mismatched ratios. To keep it simple, we also removed the rear ARB and went with a Yukon spool. Yukon 4.11's were installed in place of the normal 4.88's

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Awesome build. And thanks for taking the effort to go back and fix all you photos. Web wheelers like me would be lost without them.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts