Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering how the rockwell's hold up to 52".I have a buddy that is buying some this weekend and he is trying to decide on the tires.He can not afford the 49" Irok's so he will be running the micheln's or something of that nature.He has a 4 seater buggy and a bone stock 302 in it and a auto tranny.The motor is maybe 200hp...thx for any info or suggextions what size to run

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
TheRipper said:
I am just wondering how the rockwell's hold up to 52".I have a buddy that is buying some this weekend and he is trying to decide on the tires.He can not afford the 49" Irok's so he will be running the micheln's or something of that nature.He has a 4 seater buggy and a bone stock 302 in it and a auto tranny.The motor is maybe 200hp...thx for any info or suggextions what size to run
Michelin 395 85 R 20 XML is a good size tire. About 46.5". Good width and tread pattern. From what Ive heard, the xml are better about dry rot than the XL.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
TheRipper said:
I am just wondering how the rockwell's hold up to 52".

No. They will not hold up. Personally watched a rig break MANY shafts at EJS one year with the Rockwell 52" tire combo. This topic has came up several times, search for it.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
No michelins flex well. Their sidewalls are like an inch thick. Even with the cores missing, they don't hardly move.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
blk87K5 said:
No. They will not hold up. Personally watched a rig break MANY shafts at EJS one year with the Rockwell 52" tire combo. This topic has came up several times, search for it.

If I remember right it had a big block and a Atlas.

Ripper, 200 hp will not hurt a rockwell with 52s

Dan

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thx I have only heard of Gunracer breaking 1 so far with 52's.Maybe there was something up with what that guy was using that kept breaking them.I have seen people break the rear when they have rear steer but he will have a rear rockwell in his.And his motor is actually only around 150 hp I just figured incase he ever hopped it up a little I would list 200 hp. :D I don't pay much attention to people that haft to add search more really anyway.That really get's on my nerve's and I have never told anyone that or have had it told to me till now...lol...:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Tommy on here broke a inner, outer and the joint with the 46s in his rearsteer axle. He was doing a rear dig. He was running a 360 if I remember right...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would like to see a broken rockwell joint. This is the first I have ever herd of the joint breaking.

See if you can get a pic.

John

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i broke 3 short side front shafts in one weekend with a 305 chevy and 52's went to 46's and havent broke any shafts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I've broken 4 outers, 3 inners, and a detroit all on the rear. Some were with 44's, some with the 49's. Some were kinda bound up...looking to break something. A couple were in real minor spots, not expecting any probs. Each time a axle would let go, it would usually twist the splines on the attached unbroken inner/outer, maybe even the opposite side. Then, next time out........BAM!! (It took a couple before fiquring this out). I replaced the rear axles with some replacements from Randy at Ouversson (sp?), welded up the spiders, and haven't had any probs since then. Bottom line...I think you can easily break stock axles, given time, power(reduction?), and the right spot.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Go with the 48's!! They guy in my club is running an early mod. bronco with rockwells, 52's front and rear stear, a F302 through an np435 to a doubler kit and he breaks shafts!! he is going to 48's! As far as tire flex he runs no air at all, doesn't even have valve cores and his tires flex well, sometimes too much and they are not grooved!!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
TheRipper said:
It look's like most breakage is from running a steer axle in the rear.He will be running a normal rear axle and only a steer axle in the front.He also does not have alot of gear reduction.C6 going to a 205 and maybe a doubler later on.

Why did you even ask if they are going to work, when in your infinate wisdom think they will, and argue with everyone that says otherwise? :confused:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I mounted a set of 53/53's on my S-10 Blazer just for show and they are hard on the axles.... I normally run 48's and feel much better about them, and this is only with a 4.3 v6.... a buddy of ours down here in Big T used to break axles everytime he went out when he had the 53's on his rig and that was a buggy with a 6.2 diesel... not much HP...... stay with 48 or less or run some high dollar axle shafts....

Slick

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blk87K5 said:
Why did you even ask if they are going to work, when in your infinate wisdom think they will, and argue with everyone that says otherwise? :confused:
Why did you even waste your time responding... :flipoff2: ..thx for the info guy's
with the last few examples I will tell him to go with the 48's or smaller just to make sure.. :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
TheRipper said:
Why did you even waste your time responding... :flipoff2: ..thx for the info guy's
with the last few examples I will tell him to go with the 48's or smaller just to make sure.. :D
better tell him to go lower.
i broke several axleshafts with 48"s.
they are HEAVY, especially with the steel rims.
on the other hand, i NEVER manged to break
one with my 44" boggers, even in the
toughest of competitions.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
how about just use something other than a rockwell. the parts are 30-40 years old in many of them and they were never made for high power and/or 50 inch tires. Though they are cheap in many places, there are several other axles that perform better, weigh less and have superior strength..

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm what axles are these?I am now running rock's and 48" tires also.I can not find anyone able to run 49" tires on a front 60 and not break it everytime out.High 5 has the supperior axles and ctm's and I have seen him skint when they are bound up with just 42" tires on them.There is no stronger combo than that in a 60.Mog alxes are not stronger than rockwell's ethier.They are a little weaker but because of the portal design you can run a slightly smaller tire and not lose any ground clearence.You are correct about the part's being that old but you are wrong about the being designed to run the large tires.They were designed for them but not designed for the large tires in a enviroment that we put them through is the problem.I have not heard of anyone breaking a axle if they replace it with a new one."not another 30 yearold used one".When I break one finally it will get replaced with a axle from oversoonengineering.They make the shit seem's.He sell's moly replacement's for the rear for only $186 a piece.The front is where it get's a little pricey.Thought about having mine croyed while they are out for added strenght.I am still curious what axles are stronger plexe explain in depth.I know there is no housing even close to the thickness of the rockwell's so there is another strong point alos to remmber.Also remmber I sold my stock front 60 and rear 60 38.5 sx's and steel rims for enough money to buy my rockwell's,tires, and had to add about $300 to get custom double beadlock's made.Gears for the 60's would have cost me more than the price I paid for my rockwell's...lol..the supperior axle set for the front 60 = $1600 plus $500 for ctm's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts