Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be doing a front 52" swap in my 87 K10 soon. I have rebuilt a set of springs from a rear 3/4 ton chev. My question is, can I make the main leaf spring (the spring that attaches to shackle and hanger) the same length of the stock leaf. The stock length for the front is 47". Found here:

1973 - 1987 Chevy / GMC 3/4 Ton Truck Leaf Springs

Looking at this link:

http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png

It looks like 76-92 Jeep Wagoneer/Full size Cherokee have 47" leafs. They have the same length and width as well. The problem I see is that the centre pin isn't quite centered. The leaf is 22 1/2" X 24 1/2". Is it possible to weld/fill the original bolt hole and drill a new one?

Essentially, I'm wondering if I go with a similar spring length to stock length, will I have to relocate front spring mount and rear shackle hanger? (basically a bolt-in). Or could I just go to my local spring shop and just ask for a 47" leaf and just basically bolt that in? I know i'll have to make a proper leaf pack (not use current front leafs).

This may have been covered but I can't find any info on this anywhere.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

·
Newb
3,123 Posts
For me, your post is confusing... "52" swap" is a term used referring to swapping longer than stock springs onto the front end, if you're going to use a stock length top leaf (regardless of original application) then you're not doing a 52" swap.

Are you just wanting to relocate the springs further forward on the frame?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For me, your post is confusing... "52" swap" is a term used referring to swapping longer than stock springs onto the front end, if you're going to use a stock length top leaf (regardless of original application) then you're not doing a 52" swap.

Are you just wanting to relocate the springs further forward on the frame?
I have a 52" leaf pack from a 3/4 ton chev. I was going to swap the 52" pack in place of the stock leafs in the front. I was wondering if I could get a 47" main spring, swap it in place of the main leaf in the 52" set, could I avoid moving the front bracket and rear shackle hanger at all.

^This is where I got all my spring size info. I looked through alot of threads and found nowhere where someone swapped the main leaf enabling them to not have to move any hangers/mounts.

·
Newb
3,123 Posts
Ok.

Only swap the top leaf if the arch is similar. If they are not similar it might cause breakage problems. Also, you can redrill the center pin hole but do not attempt to weld up the old one. Being spring steel the heat will weaken it.

I wouldn't think it would be worth the work if you retain a stock length top leaf. The benefit of the swap is increased flexibility from the longer spring. Without the added length they probably won't perform much better than a stock length set that's unclamped.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You can get some longer shackles and move your front spring perch up to use the 52s.
Or just get a good set of springs that are 48s, say like deaver or alcan. Or even TC ez rides.

·
Debauchery Wizard
9,852 Posts
What is the purpose of this? Trying to save money, or?

You *can* drill the springs, but you better have a LOT of bits. The arch on the Jeep springs is pretty severe, as its a spring under design. If you wanna just use factory 52's then you will have more modifications to do.

Spend money or spend time.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the purpose of this? Trying to save money, or?

You *can* drill the springs, but you better have a LOT of bits. The arch on the Jeep springs is pretty severe, as its a spring under design. If you wanna just use factory 52's then you will have more modifications to do.

Spend money or spend time.....
Trying to avoid having to relocate front spring hanger and drilling a hole in the frame to relocate the rear shackle hanger and having the diff move forward.

·
Newb
3,123 Posts
So why do it at all?

Your not using the main leaf length. You don't want to relocate brackets. You don't want to relocate axle. I don't see the point in doing what's left (basically restacking some of the springs).

·
Debauchery Wizard
9,852 Posts
Trying to avoid having to relocate front spring hanger and drilling a hole in the frame to relocate the rear shackle hanger and having the diff move forward.
So you aren't actually doing a 52 swap..........I'm reading this as "i'm too cheap to just buy lift springs"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So why do it at all?

Your not using the main leaf length. You don't want to relocate brackets. You don't want to relocate axle. I don't see the point in doing what's left (basically restacking some of the springs).
To get lift on my truck to clear some bigger tires... I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. method. I'm trying to avoid moving front hangers and rear shackle mounts. I'd hate to drill a hole in my frame to find out i was off by 1/2" or somthing small like that. Not to add i'll have to figure out a shackle length too. I can research all i want, but everyone has different setups. I just really dont want to just take a stab at something thats so crucial to my truck's performance. Also, being a long box pickup, I have a long enough wheelbase, so stretching it would have no benefit to me, hence why I want to keep it in the stock location.

So you aren't actually doing a 52 swap..........I'm reading this as "i'm too cheap to just buy lift springs"

No. I have a 52" pack that I was wondering if I could swap the main leaf (52") to one that would fit into the stock hanger/mounts. Why spend a shit load of money to have a lift kit sent to my door when i can go to a local spring shop, buy 2 springs for maximum, $50 a piece.

I'm basically trying to avoid any mishaps on my part (rear shackle mount and shackle length). I'd like to basically do plug and play and wheel my rig that day then doing trial and error.

Thanks for the input.
Cheers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sure seems like a $350 rough country lift would do what your looking for. Will it be a super flexy crawler? No. Will it clear tires? Yup. And there won't be any need to try to build spring packs, buy shocks, figure out brake lines, buy a raised steering arm, or anything else that quickly makes $350 seem cheap.

·
Debauchery Wizard
9,852 Posts

No.........

I'm basically trying to avoid any mishaps on my part (rear shackle mount and shackle length). I'd like to basically do plug and play and wheel my rig that day then doing trial and error.

Thanks for the input.
Cheers.
So you meant "yes" then?
Nothing is more plug and play than a kit. Once you get done monkey fucking your springs, you will realize quickly that you can't turn left, so you will by new steering parts. Then you will be happy till you get off road. At which point you will realize that your shocks are fully extended and your truck is essentially a tank. Being a resourceful individual, you will pull your shocks off(because safety and ride control are only an afterthought in your young mind) and tear a break line on your first "good" wheeling trip....leaving you stranded until you can get a trailer or a tow. You will replace your break line with super sweet braided ones, cause thats how you roll(and they look cool). Of course you will mob down a country road and realize that (with your uncorrected caster) death wobble is a real thing. Had you only had shocks, you *might* have been able to stay out of the ditch instead of bouncing all over when you slammed on the brakes.
$800-ish later you will look back and say "Sure wish I had just taken advice from those guys who had BTDT", but my truck is finally working properly.

OR, if all you want is bigger tires, Harbor freight sells recip saws for $30

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you meant "yes" then?
Nothing is more plug and play than a kit. Once you get done monkey fucking your springs, you will realize quickly that you can't turn left, so you will by new steering parts. Then you will be happy till you get off road. At which point you will realize that your shocks are fully extended and your truck is essentially a tank. Being a resourceful individual, you will pull your shocks off(because safety and ride control are only an afterthought in your young mind) and tear a break line on your first "good" wheeling trip....leaving you stranded until you can get a trailer or a tow. You will replace your break line with super sweet braided ones, cause thats how you roll(and they look cool). Of course you will mob down a country road and realize that (with your uncorrected caster) death wobble is a real thing. Had you only had shocks, you *might* have been able to stay out of the ditch instead of bouncing all over when you slammed on the brakes.
$800-ish later you will look back and say "Sure wish I had just taken advice from those guys who had BTDT", but my truck is finally working properly.

OR, if all you want is bigger tires, Harbor freight sells recip saws for $30
I meant "No" to the question of: "i'm too cheap to just buy lift springs". From my local supplier, I'm looking at almost $850 for a lift kit shipped to me. Living in Northern Ontario doesn't help with shipping either.
I dont understand the bashing. thought this was the place to ask the "newbie" questions. How is changing one leaf monkey fucking? Because i'll have steering problems, i guess im stupid enough to just throw money at steering components, right. and take my shocks off, because they serve no purpose. Especially in my "young" mind since safety in my DD means nothing for me and my family.

All i wanted to know is if i could use a 52" leaf pack i had and replace the main spring with a 48" spring to bolt in. Obviously i'll need extended brake lines, raised steering arm (or Xover steering). Like i said, i'd rather just spend $50 than $850ish.

The thing i am learning most in lurk mode is what questions not to ask. That and how to not dig deeper...
Thought this was the problem with brand specific tech, not newbie questions. what you call digging deeper is me trying to explain myself.

Some responses here make it seem possible. For example, keep the same spring arch, drilling a new hole will be tough on drill bits, and get a good set of springs that are 48s, like deaver or alcan. I'm weighing my options more than anything, not setting anything in stone im not sure of.

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not at all. Just looking to see if its possible. I see threads all over the web with people moving brackets by various amounts, making shackles of various lengths, using springs of various combo's, etc...

In this thread alone, some people said yes, some said no.

Thanks all for the input. great stuff.

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Common sense tells me that a 48 inch spring will bolt in place of a 47 inch spring and the shackle will be at a new angle. Take your new main leaf and cut/stack as many leafs out of the 52 inch pack you want until the truck sits high enough for your tires to clear.

Then take BCS's advice and start replacing all of the other stuff that goes along with raising your junk. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts