Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first build and there seems to alot of willys intrest lately so here it is. I have all of my pics on photobucket under 53willysbuild. This is a work in progress and as we all know the more we look at stuff the more we will probably change!!

Specs to date
Dana 44 front
14 bolt rear
400 chevy
465/205 trans/transfer
home brewed hydraulic clutch
toyota steering box with Sky MFG arms
37" MTRs with H1 wheels and new pressed centers(should be here next week)
and my latest I extended the cab 6", just not enough room to get a decent set of seats in.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Great start on your build too by the way! I like the toyota steering box, im going to run full hydraulic so i have no box to worry about. Good luck

·
Registered
584 Posts
just copy the img code that shows up in your photobucket acct.
double left click and it copies, then paste it here

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well heres the deal...I found this truck in the weeds last fall, I have only seen one or two of these in my area which makes it a unique project to start with. Then throw in my inablity to leave things alone and you get a project that just seems to morph. Here is what I had to start with.

I boxed the frame front to back with 1/8" plate and fixed a few rust spot just behind the cab and some crack up front from a previous hack job.

The frame has been extended 8" to accomadate longer springs and strech the WB to 116"

A shot of the trans/transfercase and my first try at motor mounts.

Second attempt at motor mounts, first ones hit the header on the driver side

Some time in june the floor disappeared all I could save was about 4 inches in the rear of the cab

The start of the firewall and floor

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The finished floor.

and firewall

...untill the cutoff wheel went crazy

Which brings us to this... not sure how much of the suspension will stay as I think the rear will turn to four link in the spring. I have H1 wheel on the way so I will post how they turn out after the recentering is done

·
Registered
609 Posts
I know what you mean about not being able to leave things alone, I drove by my build at the wreaking yard, had to have it.

At least you got doors and the front end with it, what are you going to do for a bed ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.

The bed will be 2" square tube frame I will try and make I look some what classic. Then it will get diamond plate for sides and floor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kind of a long drive but there is a 2wd wagon sitting in the salvage yard near me.
They also have a pickup, thats where I got my extra set of doors and the splice for the roof. I was hard but I had to hack the roof off another willys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did get my wheels and tires form Todd(406 YJ). It was one heck of a job to get the run flats out but I got them, you can do alot with a recip saw and a pruning blade. Todd cut the centers out for me but I tacked them together and a friend of mine did the welding. A couple cans of spray paint and they are good to go until she goes for final paint. Colder than hell here so it is hard to get anything big done.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
You got a great start there. you on any local boards???

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Hey the floor looks awesome!

1 - 20 of 163 Posts