Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your cab extension is fantastic. WHat a great idea. Alot of work but well worth it in the long run.
Great build.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just think of the stuff a gearhead could build in a well stocked SHOP!!
Since I don't own one of everything I am glad to know people who have access to the stuff I need. I have been working on the roll cage alot lately what a PITA, schedules worked out this past weekend a buddy and I were able to make the bed sides. Everything on this build has been done to improve the function, form and style(in my opinion!!!) but stay with in the original flavor of the era. What is all this babble leading to...the bedsides of course!!

the company my buddy works for has a three step bend process that can roll the edge, I think it turned out with the look I wanted.

the fender

sorry for the HUGE pics I forgot to rsize them...ooops!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Very nice bed top with the rolled edge. Do they want to roll some more? What gauge of steel did you use?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I bet if we can get an order for say 4 or 5 hundred they may look into it. I am just lucky to know the right people...14ga may be a little heavy but I tend to over build stuff.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Really like that rolled edge. Want that on mine too but think I will just have to weld some pipe along the edge.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Doub't 4 of 5 hundred would materilize. Was looking for 4, Ha Ha. Oh and 14 gauge was exactly what I hoping for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Beautiful work Firwiz, I can only dream right now.

W A Watson, I have seen on truck beds sim to yours where they were able to straighten out the dents by taking a greased up piece of gas pipe (or tubing) that had been rounded off at the end and just sliding it inside the rolled portion of the bed (with a little encouragement with a hammer) and it straightened out the dents as it moved towards the cab. The added material also strengthens the rolled edge so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
W A Watson, I have seen on truck beds sim to yours where they were able to straighten out the dents by taking a greased up piece of gas pipe (or tubing) that had been rounded off at the end and just sliding it inside the rolled portion of the bed (with a little encouragement with a hammer) and it straightened out the dents as it moved towards the cab. The added material also strengthens the rolled edge so it doesn't happen again.
Wright Willys,

I did something similar. The left image in that picture is the before, and the right is the after. I used a piece of black pipe, a rose bud on my torch and a 3 pound hammer. I didn't leave the pipe in, but based on the new dents from trees, I probably should have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hey D-Rat the front fenders have been in the works for awhile, just on the back burner. I got the rear fenders welded and mounted to the truck and covered with cardboard along with the front fenders.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

the rear fenders were kind of a pain... I don't have a square tube die for the bender and no torch so I had to make relief cuts so I could bend the tube to match the round tube. All the effort was worth it.

61 - 80 of 163 Posts