Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... this isn't a R/C but I figured this would be a good place to post it.

I was wandering around a Michaels store waiting for the wife to buy some art supplies and saw they had a bogo sale on plastic model kits. So I found these:

And decided to combine them into one vehicle. I havent done a model kit in years so I thought it would be fun. These kits are not nearly as detailed as some of them and my skills and attention to detail are mediocre at best.

I started mocking pieces up and everything came together relatively easy.
First thing I did was cut the back half of the ford frame off and splice in the back half of the Jeep frame. It shortened the wheelbase and let me use the stock mounts for the axle/suspension. First mock-up:

Then I decided to "fabricate" a custom roll cage out of the plastic trees. It makes for good tube, and a little heat applied in the right spot makes the tube moldable for bending. So I got a main hoop and a pillars started, then just kept adding to it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Engine cage goes thru the firewall and ties into the A pillars

Thats where it sits now.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Sweet! I just got back into building models...just built a 357 Pete...cut it up a little to slam it and gave it a weird ghosty looking grey paintjob....some red accents and it came out better then what the kit called out for to replicate OEM colors..

I'm thinking of buyin one of the Toyota Pickup kits soon and lowering it into a sweet mini truck.

This build came out great so far..thanks for the idea using the plastic trees as a roll cage...never thought of that...:grinpimp:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! I just got back into building models...just built a 357 Pete...cut it up a little to slam it and gave it a weird ghosty looking grey paintjob....some red accents and it came out better then what the kit called out for to replicate OEM colors..

I'm thinking of buyin one of the Toyota Pickup kits soon and lowering it into a sweet mini truck.

This build came out great so far..thanks for the idea using the plastic trees as a roll cage...never thought of that...:grinpimp:
ha thanks. Its really easy to heat the plastic tubes too much and they get lumpy. The bends get brittle too, I had to re-do a few pieces. I'm pretty happy with it for what it is tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts