Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 858 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were chasing a mid 60's cab for my son's build and found this instead.

Looks to be a fairly clean 58(?) dually with a PTO driven dump bed installed 10or so years ago before being parked. Was "running strong" when parked, oil looks fine. Still on the original rubber.

I'm thinking maybe a good going through, hopefully it'll run, drive it as is for a bit while looking for a decent diesel drivetrain...I don't know.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but want to.

What would you think its worth??

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like this body style. I'm ready to see the build thread. As for a price, I'm not sure what it's worth. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I think it is worth a little money, but not much. X2 on the diesel.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I'd say 1000$ or so around here. Probaly more, it looks to be very clean, but the vintage market has really taken a hit latley. A lowball may work.

I say go for it. Very cool.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Well I paid $650 or ($850 cant remember) for my 58 back in 05'.

Non running 283, granny 4 speed, 2wd stepside.

Check how bad the rust is in the pockets at the back of the cab (since the cab has raised floors compared to the built in steps when you open the doors) that is the NUMBER 1 place for rust on these trucks.

·
4X4 HACK
2,970 Posts
Theres a 59 ford for sale down the road, $1200. But thats not comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I was told that is a 57 hood in no uncertain terms one time. I'd say 500 to 1000 maybe, depending on how bad you want it.

Edit:58.
A 57 and 58 are two different styles, why would that be a 57 hood?

·
What did you expect?
12,764 Posts
Always wanted an Apache body for my blazer, GO FOR IT.
This will be sweet, based on what I've seen from you so far.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you will want to figure out a p/s system and update the brakes.bearings and axles to stuff that is more readily available as the bigger truck parts are nearly impossible to source. nearly every thing offerd for these body styles are 1/2t and street rod parts.
Good info, thanks. I've followed your thread, it crossed my mind as I was looking this one over. If we pick this up and it doesn't run with with the basics (I don't think it will) then it will probably go into a barn for a few years until we can make more time. You should have yours done by then and I'll have a template.:smokin:

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Good info, thanks. I've followed your thread, it crossed my mind as I was looking this one over. If we pick this up and it doesn't run with with the basics (I don't think it will) then it will probably go into a barn for a few years until we can make more time. You should have yours done by then and I'll have a template.:smokin:
You might be pleasantly surprised. I bought a '55 Ford that had been sitting for 30 years. Dumbass PO had "adjusted" the valves and three pushrods had subseqently fallen into the windage tray. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run right so he just parked it. Took me about 1/2 hr to put the pushrods back and it fired right up. The biggest problem/issue with these old rigs is the fuel tank. DO NOT TRY AND START IT WITHOUT CLEANING/REPLACING THE FUEL TANK FIRST. This will save you $$$ otherwise needed in anger management counseling.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to take a closer look at it this weekend, they're asking more than what ya'll are throwing out there...except Odin.

Frankentoy, that's what I'm hoping...but planning on the opposite.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think my dad paid around 1000 for my 56 swb 1/2 ton about 6 or 7 years ago and it is nowhere near as clean as that truck is. Mine needs just about every panel for it.

Definitely check the cab corners, step panels, lower hinge pockets, floor boards, and tops of the fenders for rust and or half-assed repairs. Good news is they make everything from patch panels to complete cabs for them now.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the old guy was set on getting what he had paid for it in the late 90's and not a penny less, which was a bit more than we thought it was worth. We couldn't justify what he was asking without having a better feel for its mechanical condition, but he was really cool about letting my boy and I tinker with it in our spare time in his field.

It was difficult to find time to work on this truck with everything else going on, but it was always on our minds and we were able to find a couple hours here and there to work on it together over the last year or so.

The carb and valve cover had been open to the elements for a while and were the most obvious issues initially. We pulled the valve cover first and were kinda surprised to find it all relatively clean...the carb, not so much. We pulled the carb and brought it home to rebuild. On another visit, we pulled plugs and squirted a bit of diesel down each cylinder, drained the oil, and found that the master cylinder (no brakes) and radiator were dry.
Went back another time and were able to get the motor to turn over...encouraging, at least it wasn't locked up from sitting.
It sat like that for a couple months with us having a rebuilt carb at the house but not being able to find time to go out and work on it.
Fast forward to Father's Day weekend...my son and daughter come in together wanting me to look at a "flat tire" on her truck. I head out to find this...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Absolutely blew me away!! Both kids (17 and 19) have been working full time jobs to help pay for their higher education, fuel, bills, play/project money, and other incidentals and still managed to put their heads together (without Mom or I's knowledge) to make this happen.
They were able to negotiate the price down to 2/3's of where I had been stuck with the ole boy, pull other rigs out of the way, get this flat tired, non-steering, non-braking, heavy-ass, rig up onto the trailer and bring it home without us having a clue!
I couldn't be much prouder of them!

So, a couple hours at the carwash and we had a better idea of what we were working with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Awesome! I really like the looks of that truck.:grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since it was at home (for the time being), we were able to move through it a little quicker.
New plugs, wires, coil, cables, battery, gas tank, fluids, and the rebuilt carb had it running after a weekend of trying. :grinpimp:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 858 Posts