Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Seeking some advice from the enlightened.....

Im new to the 'Jeep thing', with a 99 TJ 4.0 5 speed, d30/d44, 4.1's ARBs, and 35" tyres. Having the usual problem of spitting front axle uni's, twisted inner axle splines etc.

So....I was looking at alloy front axles and then thought for the price I still have small R&P, unit bearings, small brakes, and no free wheeling hubs.

Bearing in mind that I am in Australia, where toyota parts are plentiful, I was thinking of using toyota 'pickup' axles under the TJ.

Cons are front housing would need to be flipped, no big drama just time and some fab, and the WMS is 58" as opposed to the TJ's 60.5".

Pros, if I pick up a set of built axles available locally with rear disk conversion, ARB's, 5.29 gears (HP front), my research says they would be stronger (stock v's stock) than my current setup, and with the addition of a set of longs would suit my wheeling and tyre size (never going to go bigger than 35"). I retain good ground clearance, get decent brakes, serviceable wheel bearings and free wheeling hubs, 6 stud bolt bolt pattern wheels common to my other vehicle and plentiful here.
I can then sell my d30/d44 combo and only be out of pocket about the same as buying alloy shafts for the d30.
The right offset wheels should solve the width difference. I dont want to run spacers for legality reasons, its my DD.

So, my questions:
1. Has this been done before?
2. I haven't measured things up yet but I believe I should be able to squeeze mounts onto the toy axles to go under the TJ, any thoughts?
3. Should I lay off the medication and just put alloy shafts in the D30 and wheel it till it breaks...

Thanks for you input.
D

·
Registered
682 Posts
THIS IS SACRILEDGE! but if you are set to use toy axles use a d300 or other pass drop tcase instead of trying to flip the toy axles

·
Registered
13,996 Posts
THIS IS SACRILEDGE! but if you are set to use toy axles use a d300 or other pass drop tcase instead of trying to flip the toy axles
I am sure they are a dime a dozen, But WAIT he lives in
Bearing in mind that I am in Australia,
Get the Alloy shafts.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Tacoma rear (NON TRD) they are wider for the rear. For the front just get some spacers. theyll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts