Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the question for you more experienced guys...

I have a 1959 Willys Wagon that I am attempting to mount to a Wagoneer Chassis. I figured the D44's front and rear, heavier frame, and 401 V8 were better than the '59's equipment. I have a wheelbase difference of about 6", that is to say the Willys is shorter. To take out the 6" and make the body fit which of the following is the best and safest thing to do???

a. Take 6" out of the center section of the frame?
b. Move the engine back 6" in the frame and make the driveshaft modifications it'll need?
c. Move the rear axle forward 6" by remounting the perches?

The only issue I see with option c. is that the hump in the frame will be in the wrong place if I simply move the axle forward.

Flame if you must, but I really do appreciate any help you can suggest. AJ

·
Registered
528 Posts
d. cut up the willys body to make it fit.

when you fawk with a frame, you soon find out that it's easier to just build a new one.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
i would have built up th original frame myself,box and plate where it needs it and swapped the wagoneer stuff over.

if you are at the point of no return,i would take the 6 outta the middle.you will be plating and boxing to restore your strength,that why i would have used the 59 frame. just my .02

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
You might want to contact Jim at Cool Street Toys. He's mainly into street rods but he's done at least one Willys wagon body swap onto another 4X4 chassis that I know of.

The guy is located down the street from you in Cool. Take 49 south through Auburn to 193. Turn left toward Georgetown and go a couple hundred meters. He's on the right side of 193.

I just looked and he has a website www.coolstreettoys.com

Email [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts