Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the reduction box and transfer case the same for the manual trans and the auto trans for an '83 to '88 swap?

Inotherwords can I slap'em on a 5-speed,hose out the ATF and poor in some good ol' 90w??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
flimmy said:
NO next time use the little buton on the top that says SEARCH :shaking:
PHUCKING 'SCUSE ME! Thread Nazi!!:flipoff:

I'm sorry that there's no real wheeling in PA!! Get over it.

Nice talkin' to ya!!

Next time use the little button on the top that says "PHUCK YOU!!!"

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey Bud,

I just searched your topic here for almost 30 min(pretty much scince you first posted it) just wondering how this had been covered. And you know what I came up with ? SHIT!.. I took a little look over to the Marlin website and he sais the 4cyl Auto truck have the Tcases your looking for until 89+. I think they are forward shift though (not sure) but thats not a big deal. And well if the ouput seal on your Tranny was good you shouldn't have to "hose it out" . ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks!

poorwheeler said:
Hey Bud,

I just searched your topic here for almost 30 min(pretty much scince you first posted it) just wondering how this had been covered. And you know what I came up with ? SHIT!.. I took a little look over to the Marlin website and he sais the 4cyl Auto truck have the Tcases your looking for until 89+. I think they are forward shift though (not sure) but thats not a big deal. And well if the ouput seal on your Tranny was good you shouldn't have to "hose it out" . ;)
I've never owned an toy auto. I'm well versed at Toy4x4s but have to swap my gear (83 rockcrawler) into an 88 4Runner. Gonna do the SAS,gears, marlins.auto to 5-speed....the whole shabang.
I'm pretty thick-skinned. No ill-mannered computer weasel from the east coast is gonna shake me up.

Thanks for the info poorwheeler!

THE DONOR VEHICLE!
I'm gonna miss her!

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Its my understanding on the auto the t-case is basically incorpurated into the auto trans, and is of no good on a manual, I did a auto-manual conversion on DSI's rig and its been a while but i belive that was the case...

·
Registered
97 Posts
As Crash said the AT and TC are one unit on the A340H transmissions. The TC is a hydraulic unit that uses hydraulics to lock the front/rear shafts together. Which means that the engine has to be running to accomplish the task.

Hint... don't send your wife to the gas station in 4WD with the rear driveshaft removed, especially if she is not in the habit of using the parking brake. In that particular case, "Park" doesn't work too well without the motor running.... :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
flimmy said:
:flipoff2: you too Roll Over Roy . Sure it will work , just go out and swap trannies and come back and tell us how it works.

Fawkin ASS.

btw read this
:flipoff2:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autocrawler/
Truth hurts eh Phlegmy! HHOOCCKK TTTOOOOIIIEEE!!

Must suck to be unfunny and a dick to boot.

Stick any real info you have up your ass. I get my help from funny or informative people.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep only way is to use a A340F as mentioned in the article that was posted. It has a divorced transfercase from the auto,a340h is not and cannot without a ridiculous amount of work.

And yes it was in the search i ran also, so now ya know to search first then ask questions.

Tough crowd,respect i get no respect.....:D

YOu might try getting an A43 or a40 trans to bolt with an adapter to the transfer and reduction unit,they are more easly found. But i would call marlin first and ask him.

Good Luck

Gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GaryGreco said:
Yep only way is to use a A340F as mentioned in the article that was posted. It has a divorced transfercase from the auto,a340h is not and cannot without a ridiculous amount of work.

And yes it was in the search i ran also, so now ya know to search first then ask questions.

Tough crowd,respect i get no respect.....:D

YOu might try getting an A43 or a40 trans to bolt with an adapter to the transfer and reduction unit,they are more easly found. But i would call marlin first and ask him.

Good Luck

Gary
Thanks for a venom-free reply Gary. I appreciate it, however I will continue to feel free to ask questions whenever I feel the need. If some conceided computer geek wants to play with the bull, he'll get the horns.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This is an interesting subject for me being a die hard auto fan if the tcase has atf in it its not usable
toyota seemed to have a hard time making up there mind on what they wanted to run for an auto the most comon is the 340h wich is crap imo
they also put in the 340f but left hand out not much help

then theres the 3040Le wich came on the back of the 22re and well adapt to the 5 speed and is right hand drive and 2.7reduction is 23 spline same as the turbo
but seem to be rare hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I had an auto tranny on my Toy when I first bought it : 85 Toy 22re engine and I beleive a340h auto tranny. On that particular one the tranny and t-case were one unit sharing lube and the t-case was a chain drive with a 2.57 low range. They're right about it only locking the axles together when the engine is running-I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys. My situation is that I purchaced an 88 4Runner on e-bay for a project car. 1st thing to do is lose the auto trans and drop in the 5-speed and marlins. Then SAS and rear springs and drop in the locked and geared diffs........And then a bunch of othe shit probably! The old truck took 12 years to evolve. This one will have to come together in about a year. I'm looking forward to using my 15 yrs of toyota truck exp. and info I can get here to put together a nice truck. With the exeption of "phlegmy"or"flimsy" or whatever his name is, all info is duely noted and greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Rollover Roy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Dude! ..........It's over................Go Away.

Please leave me in peace to play with my truck in a dick-free environment.

HHHHHHHHOCKKK! TTTTTTOOOOWWWIIEEE!!! FLY! BE FREE!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just curious, at what point would it matter if your engine was running and your transfer was working or not?
IF i stall my auto it dies and wont restart going downhill by i'ts
self anyway.i have a pushbuttom to restart it in any gear .

So how did that affect your wheeling ? When the engine quit ?

Same thing would happen in a standard tranny except you have
engine braking with the clutch. But i use brakes for stopping not my engine so that would not matter to me.:D

Just curious....
Oh and hey the a340h is a great tranny,just because it doesnt have a manual transfercase mean it cant hold it's own. I still like the a340f option with an Marlin adapter to a manual tranfercase myself.;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.