Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Normaly I only see a 5th wheel on rv trailers, and see goose necks on everything else.

so far what I have gathered, goose necks offer better articulation due to design, 5th wheels are easier to hook up, and goosenecks take up less room.

Does anyone tow with 5th wheel traliers? I'm just currious what everyone elses opinions are on one or the other.

I know the big rigs I've drove all had 5th wheels, but thats a given.

Does either one tow more stable than the other? or smoother?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I've towed a lot with a goose and some with a 5th. The 5th seemed more stable in the rear view mirror, but I didn't notice a difference going down the highway. With a goose, I don't think the trailer is built close to the bed because of the articulation. With a 5th, the bed/hitch seem to be stressed way more when going in or out of a driveway, because it's trying to twist the trailer frame instead of articulating on a ball. I have never really understood which is better.

Chris

·
Premium Member
25,811 Posts
A 5th wheel is only easier to hook up if you can't drive IMHO.

5th wheel flatbed must me like a unicorn around here. Only 5th wheel hookups I have noticed have been travel trailers.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I like a fifth wheel much beter, and an inverted fifth ten times better. A lot of the guys here are going to a mini-fifth wheel and kingpin setup, with the kingpin insert in the gosenck instead of the ball coupler. It gives a much smoother ride, and makes it a little less apt to be stole, particularly so in the inverted fifth case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts