Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to go full width on my YJ. I want a high pinion 44 front from a 78-79 F-150 extended cab, since it will be leaf sprung. What I am unsure of is which axle came in the rear of that vehicle. I figure it was either a 9" or D60, but was hoping someone might know for sure. I was also wondering which bolt pattern the axles had. I would like to go with a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and am hoping that the 78-79 F150 ext.cabs had a 5x5.5 D60, cause that would be sweet. If not, does anyone know any D60 with a 5x5.5, or is it possible to convert a D60 to that lug pattern and maybe convert to discs. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Older (not sure of year, check ifsja.org) 3/4 ton jeep trucks came with the 60-2 with 5/5.5 bolt you want. Not sure of the splines or axle size. It is much cheaper to run something that is off of a later model vehicle(replacement parts).

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
F150 you are looking at should be 5 on 5.5" nine inch rear axle.

·
Registered
566 Posts
95steel said:
Older (not sure of year, check ifsja.org) 3/4 ton jeep trucks came with the 60-2 with 5/5.5 bolt you want. Not sure of the.....

This is a semi floater 35spline axle.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Robert said:
F150 you are looking at should be 5 on 5.5" nine inch rear axle.
if you are runing under 38's a 31 spline 9" will work just fine.:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look into some International travel-alls. Some of these came with 60's that are 5x5.5. If memory serves they are 64" wide
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Any rear D60 can be converted to 5 x 5.5" semi float.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
T1H5_TA3 said:
actualy its 30 spline.. but thanks for shareing any ways..:flipoff2:
To Much "web info" that is just wrong is going around. (using the flipoff like you know what your talking about :shaking: )

Road Head, why do you want such a rare axle? Give my article a quick read before you send big cash.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mr.N said:
To Much "web info" that is just wrong is going around. (using the flipoff like you know what your talking about :shaking: )

Isnt that the truth. Even that table that you posted is wrong.
The Jeep truck with the Dana 60 with the 5X5.5 was the J4000, not the J20. They did not start building j20 till the mid 70's.

:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
He's right, the J20's were 8 lug. The older J 3-4 series had the dana 60-2. The wierd part is the 3-4000 number usually meant the wheelbase, not the payload. Please check with the guys over there, someone just sold one on the classifieds board. I believe he said it was smaller than the later model 60 shafts. I am not an expert on those axles, I have only seen one or two. Go with something common. Odd ball stuff can drive you to drink too much.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
60-2 = 35 spline

Is nobody going to mention that ford used 3 different axles in the half tons over the years?
They have used 5lug rear 44's
They have used 5lug rear 60's
They have used 5lug rear 9"'s
All flanged. The 44 and the 60 will be 30 spline, 9" 31.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Aggro said:
60-2 = 35 spline
The IH's have 60-2 stamped on the top of them, and they are 30 spl.

Also note that on the 60-2 from a J3000-4000. The bearings/seal will run you about $70-80 per side. And they are offset around 6"-7" to the right side. Just something to keep in mind if you are installing in a short wheelbased rig.

·
Registered
201 Posts
emsoffroad said:

And they are offset around 6"-7" to the right side.
Not all of them are. I have one that is and one that is only offset about 2-3", so i am hoping that will work in my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. This has been more than helpful. Mr. N - your article is now bookmarked. Very detailed and tons of info.

I have been keeping an eye out for axles for a while. By mid-end of summer I will have bought a house and will have somewhere to work on my jeep (my apartment parking lot isn't exactly prime for axle swaps :) ). I looked through some classifieds and surprisingly found two F-150 extended cabs, a 78 and a 79, both for under $1000 and both in good running condition. It was my idea to purchase a similar vehicle and take the front axle, and maybe the rear, but I didn't know what rear it had (and part out the rest of the truck). I have nothing against the Ford 9", but I worry about pinion angles, plus someday I might swap in a 5.9L Magnum, which is why I was leaning towards a D60 semi-float. But I would need to match the lug patterns. I did some searching and found that it is possible to take a D60 and put on 9" ends and 35 spline axles, allowing for discs and a 5 lug pattern. This would give me everything I want, D60, 5 lug, discs and not to mention, heck yeah, a DANA 60 under my YJ. :D Greg (a member of POR) was nice enough to email me with pics of his D60 with waggy discs and a warn full floater kit with 5x5.5.

The good thing is that my idea is possible, though it may be expensive. And knowing that a 9" is in the rear of the F-150 ext, I can just look for the 44 high pinion front and go looking for a 60. Thanks again for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

Road Head

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
DieselYJ said:
Isnt that the truth. Even that table that you posted is wrong.
The Jeep truck with the Dana 60 with the 5X5.5 was the J4000, not the J20. They did not start building j20 till the mid 70's.
I do know that fact, but I'm posting info right out my Dana book for my charts.
I've a couple books and they list the same BOM and J20. Then again I've spotted several other "errors" :flipoff2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts