Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Chevy puts the 6.2L in their half tons, as an option

You can get the 6.2L in some select F-150s

Does Dodge have any options for a larger motor in their 1500s, other than the 5.7L?
I dont think they do but haven't looked lately.

My 16 ram 1500 pulls my jeep just fine. Trailer and jeep is right at 7klbs. Loaded it get 10-12mpg depending on if doing 80 or not. Unloaded I am getting in the 20ish mpg.

This truck has the 3.21 gear in it and it pulls as well as the 10 ram I had with the 3.92 gears.

·
Registered
461 Posts
5.7 is the only v8 available in the Ram 1500. I hear they are going to put the 6.4 in it, but that's rumors been going around for a few years.

I wish I got 20mpg out of mine, but I think my right foot is a little too heavy. My dash says it's getting 17.4, but my fuelly app hasn't calculated above 16.5 at any fill up. Maybe once the temperature gets under 100 it'll get a little better.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I just picked up a 2017 RAM 1500 Quad cab, short bed hemi with 22k miles for $23,000. Getting ~16mpg it replaced my 08 1500 Hemi, getting 13mpg.
Ram was offering $17,500 in incentives on brand new 1500 crew cabs.

5.7 is the only v8 available in the Ram 1500. I hear they are going to put the 6.4 in it, but that's rumors been going around for a few years.
Itll never happen. FCA is the queen of faggotry, still waiting on the EPA to approve the 48v generator hybrid system. The only engine available in a 2019 is the standard 5.7L.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Too bad the golf cart starter/generators on the 2019s aren't getting through EPA yet, its an interesting concept. They still have some 2017 Ecodiesels new on lots too because those got put on hold. Damn European junk, sad that Chrysler can't get back to being an American company.

·
Canuckastani
1,734 Posts
They did quit the gasser manuals, I think it was when the current body style started. It sucks, I think a 6.4 or even 5.7 backed by a G56 would be pretty sweet.
Travis..
I have a 07 2500 4x4 with the hemi and g56, not as exciting as you would hope. The G56 is a lot lighter in the clutch department only sporting 11" instead of the cummin's 13" but it at least has a solid flywheel rather than the dual mass. Input shaft is also substantially smaller than the cummins equivalent.

Power doesn't feel any different than the autos but more useable. Mileage is about the same as an auto, best I've seen is 17.5 completely empty and driving like a puss. Haven't had it hooked up to any substantial load yet.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
I dont think they do but haven't looked lately.

My 16 ram 1500 pulls my jeep just fine. Trailer and jeep is right at 7klbs. Loaded it get 10-12mpg depending on if doing 80 or not. Unloaded I am getting in the 20ish mpg.

This truck has the 3.21 gear in it and it pulls as well as the 10 ram I had with the 3.92 gears.
These are the numbers I was looking for. So no braking issues towing the 7K?

I need to buy a truck very soon to replace my 1999 454 burb. There are a lot of nice 1500 5.7l trucks out there for sale. I have been looking at the following 2012 - 2017's:

6.2l ford
6.4l hemi
5.7l hemi

My rig will mostly be a daily and tow 7k once a month. There will be some planned multi-state trips this year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm in there with a 15' Ram 1500 on 35" Toyo AT2's. Towing probably 6-7K and it hauls ass. Not passing a gas station but it does have a smaller gas tank, less than 30gals I believe. Not sure of actual MPG, never recalibrated the speedo but I'd guess mid teens. I don't tow at 55 :). Added bags just because the rear coils were a little soft for my liking. Make a dozen local trips and half dozen 300+ miles one way out of town trips every year for last 3 years and seems to be doing fine. I pass all my diesel buddies, except for the refueling part...

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Have had my 18 2500 Mega Cab with the 6.4 for a little over 11K Miles now. Overall average is around 13.5. That’s with stock tires and mixed city/highway driving. Had no issue pulling a 29’ Jayco travel trailer around CO when we went elk hunting this past fall. It won’t win a race pulling the trailer over passes, but it does everything I need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
I'm in there with a 15' Ram 1500 on 35" Toyo AT2's. Towing probably 6-7K and it hauls ass. Not passing a gas station but it does have a smaller gas tank, less than 30gals I believe. Not sure of actual MPG, never recalibrated the speedo but I'd guess mid teens. I don't tow at 55 :). Added bags just because the rear coils were a little soft for my liking. Make a dozen local trips and half dozen 300+ miles one way out of town trips every year for last 3 years and seems to be doing fine. I pass all my diesel buddies, except for the refueling part...
So 5.7l Hemi huh...? I would be towing over to Naches, etc.

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts

I need to buy a truck very soon to replace my 1999 454 burb. There are a lot of nice 1500 5.7l trucks out there for sale. I have been looking at the following 2012 - 2017's:

6.2l ford
6.4l hemi
5.7l hemi

My rig will mostly be a daily and tow 7k once a month. There will be some planned multi-state trips this year.
Look for an Ecoboost F150 with max tow package. Mine is rated for 11,200 towing.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Look for an Ecoboost F150 with max tow package. Mine is rated for 11,200 towing.
You driving one of those now huh? Looking at all of the half ton's out there...I don't think I can really go wrong anyway. My burb only had 290hp new but 410ft/lbs of torque. All of these new motors seem to be at 383hp or more and 400ft/lbs.

Same if not more wheelbase and more gears in the tranny means it should be a smoother pull as well.

Lastly...with the 454 I get 7.5mpg towing and 9mpg around town...:mr-t:

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
You driving one of those now huh? Looking at all of the half ton's out there...I don't think I can really go wrong anyway. My burb only had 290hp new but 410ft/lbs of torque. All of these new motors seem to be at 383hp or more and 400ft/lbs.

Same if not more wheelbase and more gears in the tranny means it should be a smoother pull as well.

Lastly...with the 454 I get 7.5mpg towing and 9mpg around town...:mr-t:
My wife has a 15 ram 5,7, speed, 3.21's . The max tow rating is 7k with 3.21's, 10k with 3.73's. My wife's truck gets good mpg (16/21), but not sure I would want to tow 7k with it. It rides great and is pretty quick. I had a 3500 with 5.7 and 4.10's, with 9k-10k toy hauler it was a 6mpg dog. 7k on flat's it would have been ok but not in the rockies. If you get he 1500 ram, I would get the 3.73's and plan on sway bars for a 7k trailer. The hemi likes to pull hills at 4k-5k rpm, takes a bit to get used to.

I just picked up a 18 ram 2500 diesel, winter driving with studs and in 4x4 50% I'm getting 14-15. Hoping for 12mpg with the trailer when the snow melts. But I'm mostly towing around NW MT.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

6.2l ford
6.4l hemi
5.7l hemi

I should be but I dont use the trailer brakes with this set up and it did just fine. I have had a few dodges and like them the best.

I have had an f150 work truck and I absolutely hated it.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
What trans is bolted up to these 6.4L trucks?

6.4L is only a power wagon and a 2500/3500 motor right?

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
You can turn off the MDS. Simply select "6" with the +/- shifters. This also shows the gear you are in. I always drive like this as the MDS was annoying. It doesn't hurt/impact anything else except the variable displacement from engaging...
You sure about this? Tried to tell my buddy about this and he said it did not work

He is averaging 7.8-8.5 in his 6.4L PW , unloaded

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
You sure about this? Tried to tell my buddy about this and he said it did not work

Stock, or larger tires? That seems pretty bad. Hell, that’s Chevy 6.0 range.

I will have to try turning off the MDS on my truck. Haven’t ever messed with it.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

Works on my '16 PW. I'm running 37's and am getting like 10/14 unloaded indicated on the computer. Computer lines up with hand calculated =/- 0.5mpg. That's with a speedo that is uncorrected for tire size, so it's probably actually a little better. I don't drive it very hard.

My understanding is that there is no way to untraceably turn the MDS off permanently. So if you have a warranty, you are going to have to buy a second ECM to swap in when you take it in for anything. It's not like a GM MDS system where you can just get an OBD dongle to turn off the MDS, then remove the dongle to set everything back exactly how it was.

What trans is bolted up to these 6.4L trucks?

6.4L is only a power wagon and a 2500/3500 motor right?
I think you get the 68RFE. 6 speed auto that seems pretty good in the short time I've had it. I don't know if you can get an Aisin in a 3500/6.4 combo.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts

Stock, or larger tires? That seems pretty bad. Hell, that’s Chevy 6.0 range.

I will have to try turning off the MDS on my truck. Haven’t ever messed with it.

Stock 35s...... not sure on the gears

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Maybe the trans changed? Ii was thinking the 6-Speed automatic is the 66RFE

41 - 60 of 90 Posts