Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6.5 mechanical diesel that I am rebuilding. I am wanting to run a turbo from quadstar tuning that produces 20psi of boost. Currently I got the head studs and I talked to a machinist and he told me I will need thicker head gaskets. Not sure what else I'll need so the engine will run properly. Also not sure if I need to turn the pump up a little. I'm going for power just want it to last with what I plan on putting with it. Hope yall can help me out with it.
Thank you

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m no expert on the old 6.2/6.5s but it doesn’t sound like you have a very complete plan there (no offense, just letting you know). Putting on a bigger turbo without doing anything else will just give you turbo lag. The general rule with turbos is you want to run the smallest turbo you can without it being too small. You will definitely need to turn up the pump and I’m pretty sure you can’t turn it up nearly enough to need a bigger turbo. Those pumps are pretty limited. If you really want to get more out of that engine you need to start doing a lot of research because there’s not much support for the old diesels. So you are going to have to work for it and really want it to make it worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doesn't quadstar offered an obd1 and obd2 tuner for the 6.5 ? I saw these on their website .

·
Registered
97 Posts
studs and no higher than 20lbs should be okay. if you want more, you'll def want to drop compression down to 18:1 or so. I'd talk to quadstar and see what he has going on for mechanicals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this mechanical 6.5 originally NA or did it come with a turbo from the factory? Im going to assume it was turbo'd from the factory. The factory turbo engines have a lower compression than the NA counterparts; that turbo will probably be pushing the limits of the engine. NA that turbo will probably give the engine a very short life.

The blocks of either engine were never designed for any real power. You can push the fuel and air required for big power, (look for youtube videos with 6.2/6.5 engines with dual injection pumps) but more than likely the engine will self destruct after a short time. If you want to stick with the 6.5 for massive power you may be better off with a peninsular engine, but at that price its cheaper to swap an used cummins.

With all that said, if you stay within the limits of the engine a turbo 6.5 can be one hell of a daily driver. Had a 6.2 NA and added a turbo, was pretty damn fun. Gave the truck to a friend of mine who took out the bottom end of the engine trying to rev it out of a mud hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts