Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad has a 97 one ton chevy that has the 6.5L in it. all of the sudden it started just dying. it will run fine and then just shut off like you turned the key off. we have had it in and out of the chevy dealership shop and also had it at a diesel mech. shop. nobody can figure out whats up. after it dies, you can sometimes wait a while and it will start back up. it has a new fuel pump and injector pump. what gives? anyone with a similar problem? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
read up on the dieselplace.com. There are a few posibilitys and it is a very common problem.

·
Registered
780 Posts
PartTimeAdult said:
Your dealer is a boob.
Likely its the PMD.
If its the pump itself, there is a factory 11 yr, 120K warrantee, diagnosis, parts & installation
I agree with PTA!! I worked on a buddies truck that was doing the same thing. I had to make a special tool to remove the PMD from the fuel pump (very little room to remove the retaining screws with pump installed) and used a old heatsink out of a computer power supply to help keep it cool. The factory harness is long enough to get it far enough way from the valley area of the motor keep it cool enough to not give any problems.

This time of year in Texas (if your username reflects such) is brutal for engine heat.

Stick a half a grapefruit on the PMD after it cools off and see if it does it again.

Wish ya luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts