Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
i think youve got yourself a dedicated audience for sure.thats quite an ambitious project.are you doing it alone or do you have some help lined up?
im looking forward to this build,good luck:smokin:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Caddy calipers are mechanical and need to be adjusted overtime. They are getting more and more hard to find and can be expensive depending on where you live in the country. Also many times if you find the Caddy calipers you cant find the caliper hardware. The hydro set up that I am going to run cost about the same if not a little more. I wanted to try other options, and show everyone that there are choices we just have to try new things.

Yea I will be working on this thing by myself, my friends tend to drink more then work anyway... especially when I am buying the beer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I remember seeing this rig last year at the PA Jeep Show. I actually came up to you and talked to you about your rig for a while.

I must say, from seeing it in person, this is a WELL built TJ. Very clean and very capable. Can't say I saw anything left un-modified.

Hope the build goes/went well! Hope to see it there again this year!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
So you think that little MC on the cutting barke will push enough fluid to lock up the extra set of calipers? That's my only concern. I know it'll be a closed system and stand alone so the fluid doesn;t have to do anything else...
What size bore on that lil MC?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BH97TJ,
Yea, I will be at the Jeep Show again this year. Maybe I can make it back to MD with out getting another couple hundred dollars in fines and a fist full of repair orders this time. I think that we are all going to head up at night and come back at night this year. Last year I got a 130 dollar fine for a F'n missing lug nut :mad3:.

isabellaclarke,
The bore on the master cylinder is 3/4. I had the same reservations about the master cylinder as well. I talked at length with Willwood, CNC, and few other manufactures about what I was trying to do, none of them thought that it would be an issue. The reason that I went with CNC is it is a neat little package. The master cylinder will only be applying pressure to two single piston calipers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
They are military hummer, no specific years. They are two piece, one piece is the bucket that they mout in and the other is tail light housing its self. They are 24 volt, I had to change the bulb sockets, I ended up using the guts from my Jeep tail lights. With regular bulbs they are fairly dim, so I switched over to LED bulbs. The tail lights and the buckets run about $250, and I got them from Kascar a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You've got an awesome rig, and I can't wait to see the build-up next week. Good luck!

Those military composite lights look great -- I ordered a pair for my YJ a couple weeks ago, but wasn't sure how they'd turn out. I'm impressed. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've got to be missing something on the braking system. You're going to use just a line lock and a cutting brake, the line lock being a parking brake? Why the need for 2 calipers? I'm setting up a jeep right now with a line lock in front of a 1 in 2 out cutting brake which essentially is the same thing, with one less set of calipers. Or are you running 2 calipers for the extra braking?

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
I've got to be missing something on the braking system. You're going to use just a line lock and a cutting brake, the line lock being a parking brake? Why the need for 2 calipers? I'm setting up a jeep right now with a line lock in front of a 1 in 2 out cutting brake which essentially is the same thing, with one less set of calipers. Or are you running 2 calipers for the extra braking?
x2 I was wondering the same thing. Even if the reason was for better braking, one per wheel of those calipers on the rear are more than plenty for 42s

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Two rear calipers will be tied into the Jeeps master cylinder and function in the way that they would normaly. The second set will be in a closed loop system with the staging brake and the Swageloc acting as the emergency brake.

There are a few reasons that I am doing it this way:

One being that it is legal, DOT makes it mandatory to have a back up stand alone braking system. Thus combing a line lock within your existing system not legal. I will say however that the legality is was not a big selling point as nothing I have is legal. (5 point harness, modified suspension, tire size, lack of flares, no reverse lights or tag lights, no mirrors, fog lights mounted above the headlights, open fuel system, lack of visible turn signals from the side of the vehicle so on and so on).

The second and most important is that I don't know of any line lock out there that does not bleed off over time or run your battery down. (I am not using an traditional line lock I am using an manual on/off straight flow valve from Swageloc). If I were to just use the master cylinder with out the line lock it would wear the seals out in the master cylinder fairly quickly as they are not meant to hold pressure for extend amounts of time.

The third is it is different, not cookie cutter, and I wanted to see how well it would work, so that I could give others options for emergency brakes on the 14 bolt.

Lastly I do tend to drive the Jeep during the week when ever feel like it, so having an emergency brake for parking on hills or my driveway for that matter is nice.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Okay, I understand, however, read the law carefully. I would think that to be in spec (not that it matters) you'd need a mechanical linkage, not a fluid linkage. And technically it'd be a parking brake, not an emergency brake because of the lack of mechanical linkage. Have you seen the Mico line locks they use on tow trucks. They are a little spendy, but don't run of battery or bleed down. Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I will check into the micro line locks. I am always open to new ideas or to try out new things. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for the info. I will give them a call tomorrow, they have some interesting products that the 4x4 community could benefit from.

·
Registered
245 Posts
MICO "line Lock"

I'd like to see the Mico in use and specifically where you'd mount it. I have one in a box, but can't decide where to ergonomically place it... WOW what a big word. hehe

Also, the mico would be better defined as a parking brake, because if you lose the ability to apply brake pressure, ie. cut a line, it's useless as .......

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have one of the electric mico locks and it operates off a switch. It holds pressure forever and also has a low pressure sensor that you hook up to your horn or other siren type speaker. I have never heard it go off even after hours of sitting on a trial making repairs. I wish I had the committed master cylinder and calipers though. The drums are the weak link in my setup. The valve doesn't pull power constantly it closes and turns off. you have to build the pressure over what is in the line behind the valve for it to release. Been very happy with but make sure all the seals in the caliper/wheel cylinders are in good shape. My next project is getting three valves one for each line out of the proportioning valve.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Any pics yet?

21 - 40 of 189 Posts