Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my boss wants me to lift his 2001 Dodge, its 4x4, but comes from the factory with the "off-road" pakage, I believe it has a coil spacer up front, and blocks in the rear. He wants me to lift it for him 6inchs, So he can run the 37inch Pro-crap X-terrain. If I find a 3inch dodge coil, use a 3inch spacer, and then use an add-a-leaf, or a bigger block, what other issues would I need to adress. Will the stock control arms work, I dont think they would, and what would have to be done about steering, I think I could just use a drop pitman arm right, I need help on this, so thanks a bunch guy, and gals.:D

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Who buys suspension components from a company called "whiplash"? :confused:

Isn't that like building a 9 second Mustang with parts exclusively from Turtle manufaturing? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
The Off-Road package trucks came from the factory with 2" taller coils in the front and 2" lift :rolleyes: rear spring packs. No spacers were used. You can put 2" spacers up front and it will sit 4" higher than a stock NON Off-Road package truck but I don't thing the 37's will fit. Go to www.dodgetrucks.org like ramv said, they should be able to help you.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
First of all I would'nt recomend using coil spacers, they can fly out, possilby injuring a bystander.

·
Registered
362 Posts
MikeW said:
First of all I would'nt recomend using coil spacers, they can fly out, possilby injuring a bystander.
The spacers I have seen for Rams bolt to the coil mount/shock tower.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
MikeW said:
Might be kinda hard for this to happen considering that not only are they bolted in (as stated above), but the shock runs through the middle as well. :rolleyes:

Pete

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Go with the skyjacker kit. Its the only way I've seen to do it right. If you just add coil spacers, you will have an issue with the control arms, pitman arm, and track bar, since the truck has a 2 inch taller springs already! The skyjacker kit corrects all of these issues. DONT go with Superlift!!! I put a superlift kit on my dad's truck and he hated it. It always squeaked and most imporatntly, it changes the control arm design to a radius arm design on the truck and if you look at the geometry of the radius arm mount, it WILL break at the frame mount with any amount of repeated articulation. Skyjacker is a little more expensive but way worth it.
And I don't think I even need to talk about Whiplash here do I?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Cepek makes(/made?) a sweet looking 6" kit for the 2500s, the control arms are like 4' long, but IIRC it was around $2k. Not sure what the difference would be on a 1500 (besides softer springs).

Pete

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
dude, if your shooting coil spacer out, you might want to check out whatever is screwed up with your links

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
My buddies 96 Dodge 2500 wouldn't even come close to fitting my other buddies set of 37 inch SSR's. He's got the spacers and a 3 inch body lift and without major cutting those suckers were not going on there.

If he already has the factory lift, why not just put a body lift on it? Cheap, easy and looks fairly decent on the dodge. Hell Jakes truck with the 3 inch body lift still shows less frame that my tow rig (97 GMC Z71) Go figure?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
35"s fit stock with the Off-Road package, trust me on this, I wheeled fairly hard with this combination. Also you can use 3" spacers with the Off-Road package, but it does make the track bar angle a tad steep for primarily highway miles. (I have run 30 000 miles like this with no problems, but there is a touch more character then stock)

Like I said, the 5" Skyjacker is the right way of doing it, but you'll only get about 3" lift. It should clear 37"s pretty close at that point. If not, you can add a body lift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts