Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I've heard the 05 unlimited rubi is getting the 6 speed, well the reg rubi has it too. Anybody know what type of trans it is? Is it a new guy? 3500 w/ another gear? Whats the deal?

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/auto_technology/2004/8/chrysler_6speeds/

Jeep Liberty and Wrangler will feature the NSG 370 6-speed, replacing the two 5-speed manuals previously used--NV1500 and NV3550--reducing cost and complexity. The Jeep 370 is similar to the one used in the Chrysler Crossfire, the first 6-speed for the Chrysler brand. The NSG 370 has a 4.46:1 First gear, versus the 3.85:1 and 4.04:1 ratios of the previous 5-speeds, for improved launch and traction. For smooth operation, First and Second gears have triple-cone synchronization, Third and Fourth double-cone and Fifth and Sixth single-cone. The hard-finish gears run quiet says Chrysler, and the multirail steel shift system is strong and precise. The 2-piece aluminum case with integrated clutch housing assures powertrain stiffness and light weight. The overall 6-speed gear-ratio spread is intended to bring better fuel economy as well.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
it seems to me like a lot of the Diamler influence is beginning to surface. the 300, Magnum, Crossfire, and now this tranny. from what i've seen, all the changes have been positive.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks. I wonder how strong it is? We have a vehicle were testing, I wonder how many times I can drop the clutch before something lets go...

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
With DC's quality I would say not very much

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Quality has little to do with it. Basically they stuck an extra gear into a case that is roughly the same size. I'd be suprised if it's very durable. I can appreciate a lower first gear, but why would you want a 6 speed in a trail vehicle?

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
My guess would be its an EPA fuel mileage thing? I wouldnt want any more than 5 gears either, 4 was enough, 5 was nice w/ the OD, 6 is over kill

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More gears let you keep the engine in its power band. Case closed. You guys are lazy, more the better, to a point.

However, I wonder what the torque rating is on it, or if it will live up to the legendary t-150, t-4, t-5, or ax-15 or any other crap box that Jeep has put in its vehicles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would love to have an extra gear in the tranny especially if it would allow me to run a lower axle ratio but still be driveable on the highway. Not all of us are able to trailer our rigs to the trail.

AARON

·
Registered
538 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but i believe daimler chrysler will also produce two other 6 speed manuals. one in the rams behind the hemi, and the other behind the new cummins 600. the tranny behind the hemi should be somewhat stout, and the one behind the cummins should be very stout (but big and heavy).

if you happen to come across a 2.7 diesel mated to a 6 speed out of an 05' liberty, let me know :flipoff2:

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,186 Posts
Tranny is out of the M series benz. Torque rating is lower than the NV3500 and fifth gear isn't as high. I wouldn't be suprised if the diff gears are changed to compensate. ie a Rubicon with 3.73 to keep freeway rpm the same. Basically the ratio's are closer together than the NV tranny.

·
Registered
515 Posts
smbisig said:
correct me if im wrong, but i believe daimler chrysler will also produce two other 6 speed manuals. one in the rams behind the hemi, and the other behind the new cummins 600. the tranny behind the hemi should be somewhat stout, and the one behind the cummins should be very stout (but big and heavy).

if you happen to come across a 2.7 diesel mated to a 6 speed out of an 05' liberty, let me know :flipoff2:
I think they already have a 6 spd behind the cummins, dont they?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The trannys in the Dodge pickups aren't made by DCX, there New Venture units. NV5600 in the Cummins, I'm not sure about the Hemi, I haven't seen one with it, I wasn't even sure you could get a stick. Anybody know what it is?

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
If you look at the link I posted, it shows Chryslers other 2 6 speed truck trannies as well.

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
oldjeep said:
http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/auto_technology/2004/8/chrysler_6speeds/

Jeep Liberty and Wrangler will feature the NSG 370 6-speed, replacing the two 5-speed manuals previously used--NV1500 and NV3550--reducing cost and complexity. The Jeep 370 is similar to the one used in the Chrysler Crossfire, the first 6-speed for the Chrysler brand. The NSG 370 has a 4.46:1 First gear, versus the 3.85:1 and 4.04:1 ratios of the previous 5-speeds, for improved launch and traction. For smooth operation, First and Second gears have triple-cone synchronization, Third and Fourth double-cone and Fifth and Sixth single-cone. The hard-finish gears run quiet says Chrysler, and the multirail steel shift system is strong and precise. The 2-piece aluminum case with integrated clutch housing assures powertrain stiffness and light weight. The overall 6-speed gear-ratio spread is intended to bring better fuel economy as well.

The 6sp is a nice idea, but I will just NEVER understand the ,IMO, stupidity
of designing a new 4X4 transmission and making 1st gear only 4.46:1. :shaking:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
SanDiegoCJ said:
The 6sp is a nice idea, but I will just NEVER understand the ,IMO, stupidity
of designing a new 4X4 transmission and making 1st gear only 4.46:1. :shaking:
Never understood that either. If you're going to give me another gear, give me either a higher OD gear or a lower first gear. I don't see a whole lot of advantage in a ~4 first gear and a .7 OD gear and an extra gear in between. Give me either a lower 1st gear or a taller OD gear and then I'll be interested.

·
Registered
594 Posts
16% lower first gear is decent, would be like switching from my 4.10's to 4.88's almost (4.76 to be exact) while crawling in first gear. I'll get one when my current tranny dies if they prove reliable. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts