Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I searched :flipoff2: but info was all over the place. I'd dig your thoughts in a central place here so I can make sense of it all, thanks.

Problem is, my 91 Chebby kingpin 60 is W I D E. 69" WMS to WMS to be exact. This was'nt too much of a problem with my old 44 as I could run 4.5" backspacing. So I picked up some beadlocks with 2.25" and it's stupid wide. Not only that, I cant seem to get rid of the death wobble and yes, the steeting is tight.

Now I see 16.5 beadlocks working, 17 tires are getting more available. I think mabe I can get me some more backspacing with bigger diameters. Mabe, but how much? Will it help or be enough? If so, what am I looking for? Military stuff?

I'm debating weather to chop my axle or just leave it alone and get better backspacing to avoid it. What are you doing about this? Why?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I went with more b/s. Had Dean make me up some hummer rims with 5" b/s. I think it is just a preference thing. You get it cut down and you are probably looking at custom shafts....

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Try new kingpin springs and / or some shims (big washers) under the caps on-top of the springs. It's worked before to cure 60 wobble

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I'll second what Bill said :) Try it, its cheap even

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you do cut it down... it's probably best to only cut the long side... saves some $$$ and makes replacing shafts a little easier, as only one will be custom length.

I think it's probably best to just go for more back-spacing, there are only two options in my opinion:

1. 15" wheels 4 or 4.5" B.S. and grind calipers. (My choice).

2. 16", 16.5", or 17" wheels with more B.S and no grinding.

Trouble with the 16" wheel is the limited tire selection.

I don't think cutting the axle down and keeping the 2.5" B.S. will help with the death wobble... it's probably not so much the width, as it is the fact that your tires are so far away from your steering axis.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, already had planned on the new bushings and spacer thing. Also going to try swapping around different tires, get the best match to keep the front straight. However....

I'm still stuck with the same problem. Width.

so with Dean's hummer rims, I can get up to 5"? hmmm... Is that a 16.5? Are they locked? thanks.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
THREAD ROBBER!!!!!! loppy, email me or something if u go to sell the beadlocks, i might take them off your hands if they are any good. lemme know boy.

jiMMy

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
HMMWV wheels lock both inner and outer beads. Thats 16.5

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CWToyota said:
I don't think cutting the axle down and keeping the 2.5" B.S. will help with the death wobble... it's probably not so much the width, as it is the fact that your tires are so far away from your steering axis.
Bingo! That's what's really bothering me. Shit, the CENTER of the tire is about 6-8" outboard of where the wheel bearings are. Even further away from the kingpin! I can figure out the death wobble thing eventually, but this is what's really bugging me. I need to make a change and get the center of the tire more in the neghborhood of where the axle wants it. And you end up narrowing your front end at the same time.

I dont mind being full width. But this is rediculous! haha. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
LOPPY said:

I dont mind being full width. But this is rediculous! haha. Thanks.
your scared huh, im 97 outside to outside. fun times

jiMMy

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
and they have 7" back spacing stock, they will bolt right on with the right high steer arms. mike

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Jerk said:
THREAD ROBBER!!!!!! loppy, email me or something if u go to sell the beadlocks, i might take them off your hands if they are any good. lemme know boy.

jiMMy
Thread robber? WTF?

Get in line punk. You're about third on the list now. :flipoff2:

And uhm... yes. They're bad ass. 32 bolt rockstomps with tapered inset bolts. bubbah. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I have to assemble my outers now and test fit to see how they clear everything.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gunracer1 said:
and they have 7" back spacing stock, they will bolt right on with the right high steer arms. mike
See, now THIS is what I'm talk'n about! Options!!

I can see by looking at the knuckles, with 7" backspacing the tie rod mounts would hit for sure. I have tons of room to fit the tie rod behind everything. I'm aready high steer on the pass side for the drag link. Are there special HS arms for running stock Hummer wheels? Or can I use the same ones I got?

Thanks! this kicks ass. You guys are all over exactly what I needed to know!!

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mike said:
I have to assemble my outers now and test fit to see how they clear everything.
Cool. Lemmeknow what you got and how it fit. I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
will do. From what I've heard you have to have a special arm cut to clear at stock backspacing.

BTW I have a chevy dually front with the hubs turned down ;)

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So do I. it WAS a dually. hahaha... does that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Did you machine your dually bearing hubs down to work like single wheel hubs? If so, did you true up the new wheel mounting surface? If not, that could be the cause of your death wobble. I did it on mine, but I know a local guy who has a station wagon on 44's and didn't do it to his. (Even though he owns a lathe.) His tires look like he only has one lug nut on when he drives down the road.

J. J.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Good point. Mine are machined flat, but that is an excellent point :) Lop, who'd you have do it? If Brian did it I'm sure tis machined true

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
mike said:
Good point. Mine are machined flat, but that is an excellent point :) Lop, who'd you have do it? If Brian did it I'm sure tis machined true
Who is doing this in NCa? I know WMS was doing dually to SRW conversion for the front hubs. And how much are the charging. It'll give me another option when looking for a front D60. thanks. :D :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts