Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the OD of the race. 3.806 I think but not sure and don't have one here to measure.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Found it ...

According to Timken's online dealio, a 382S (382-S) has an o.d. of 3.8125

cmk

P.S. I may have another machining job for ya'. I need a piece of AL tube ~8" long with a 3.8125" o.d. and a 1.502" i.d.. Can ya' do it?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I an pretty sure it isn't 3.8125.
I don't have a boreing bar that can do 8"'s. 6"'s is about the depth I can do. A reamer is about $65 and could do an 8" hole

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I just double checked it and I'm still seeing 3.8125 for a 382S which I am 99% sure is a d60 carrier bearing race.

In case you aren't aware of this tool, take the blue pill and follow me down the rabbit hole:

Go to www.timken.com . Click on "online services" in the upper right hand corner. Then click on "bearings online services" on the left. At this point, you will have to register, if you have not done so. It's not difficult.

Once registered, go to "Timken Bearing Product Dimensional Data By Part Number" and punch in a 382-S race.

... 3.8125 and it even references the 387A bearing cone for a d60 carrier.

That tool is significantly more powerful than www.timkeninfo.com .

cmk

P.S. Hrm ... that 8" dim is a guess. I'll check on the exact length I would need. Or if you're privy to what I'm looking to do, you may be able to check it. I do have a feeling that it is > 6" though.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then 3.8125 it is then. If for some reason it does turn out to be 3.806 then I can always turn the part down some more.

P.S. I have no clue as to what you are makeing so send me a PM if this is Top secrete

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
66CJdean said:
P.S. I have no clue as to what you are makeing so send me a PM if this is Top secrete
C'mon, this one is easy.

3.1825" is the same o.d. as a d60 carrier bearing. 1.502" is just slightly larger than a 1.500" alignment bar. 8" is approximately the span between a d60's carrier bearings (probably more)

I'm looking for something to align the alignment bar to the carrier bearings when I burn my spindles back on.

cmk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you have a 60 carrier? Bore the side gears out to 1.51.
won't be as trick but it's easier.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Carrier cap jigs are what I am making and allot less work than modifieing the carrier. They could be as thin as .750 but the thicker the better.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Rocraven,

I'd hate to "ruin" a prefectly good set of d60 side gears. Plus, the only d60 carrier I have lying around is a 35 spline spool.

tjs,

True, two 1" donuts will work and that's probably what I'll end up doing tomorrow morning ... if I can get to work before the boss man gets there. However, I think one long tube would better support and align the alignment bar. Although the amount of alignment that is realistically necessary is debateable.

cmk

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you are waisting your time with the tube idea. If you wanted to be fancy then make 2 donuts and a tube between then and slide it all onto the bar and bolt them together so that they become 1 unit but still a waist of time IMO. When you weld it all together it will move quite a bit so worrying about a few thou won't make it wheel any better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts