Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any longer studs that can be installed in a Dodge 60 front to alow the use of some 1" wheel spacers?
Also - anyone know if 1" will be enough to let Humer rims clear the stock tie rod ends?

I believe the studs in my Dodge are 5/8" currently, but I would not be opposed to using a more standard size stud that fit the same knurl diameter in the hub/rotor.

Anyone have a part# and/or specs needed? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Try a Dodge W350 DRW studs from 72-93.

For some reason this # sticks in my mind
Dorman # 610-215

It should have a 5/8-18 thread and a knurl dia of 0.655"

I have a Dorman catalog at home that lists all the specs. Let me know if you need any more info. I think I even have one of the 610-215 studs that I never used so I can look at that as well.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i bet custom backspaced hummer rims would be about the same price as buying hummer rims and spacers and studs

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TRD said:
i bet custom backspaced hummer rims would be about the same price as buying hummer rims and spacers and studs
I'll take that bet, and you can send the money to....

:p

Seriously - you would be wrong. I got a set of Hummer rims and beadlocks for $450 for 4 of them. New centers go for $75 or so by the time they get to me, then weld them on.

I only want the front wider - and IMHO just widening the front 2 wheels is kinda silly.

I can get the 1" spacers for $75 for the pair, studs are about $2x16 to do both fronts.

I will measure the stock studs this weekend and then check a Dorman catalog (if I can find one) and see if I can find a match - I was just hoping for the off chance that someone else had already gone through all of this :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
On my Dodge front axle, the maximum workable backspace is 5" for a 16.5 rim so I'm not sure that a 1" spacer will cut it for Hummer wheels. Your knuckles may be different, but I'd be surprised.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lloyd said:
On my Dodge front axle, the maximum workable backspace is 5" for a 16.5 rim so I'm not sure that a 1" spacer will cut it for Hummer wheels. Your knuckles may be different, but I'd be surprised.
So 5" was the max to clear what - the calipers, or the knuckle and tie rod end?

Good to know, I guess I need to put my 60 together this weekend and see how the Hummer rim lines up before I commit to the spacers. It was my understanding some people have been using 1.5" spacers to fit Hummer rims and clear the steering, I was hoping 1" would work too.

And I would even be ok if it cleared just the steering arm without a tie rod in there since I don't mind swapping to high steering arms for the tie rod location if I have to.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Knuckle and TRE. If you're going high-steer with deep-offset arms you could probably get away with a little more, maybe that'd buy another 1/2" If you're willing to grind on the stock knuckle where the TRE's go you could potentially run them without spacers - but I don't know what would interfere next. These wheels have no brake clearance issues, but can't say about Hummer wheels. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have 1"spacers on my ford axle, and they clear fine. I might be able to throw my spare onto my friend's dodge 60 to check clearance if you don't do the same yourself first. BTW most 1" spacers use a seperate set of studs in the spacer to mount the wheel to...

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
DRM said:

I'll take that bet, and you can send the money to....

:p

Seriously - you would be wrong. I got a set of Hummer rims and beadlocks for $450 for 4 of them. New centers go for $75 or so by the time they get to me, then weld them on.

I only want the front wider - and IMHO just widening the front 2 wheels is kinda silly.

I can get the 1" spacers for $75 for the pair, studs are about $2x16 to do both fronts.
USA6x6.com

65 each for hummer with tube style custom bs
85 each for hummer with plate style custom bs
50 each for the beadlocks

so that is $110 a rim with custom bs and beadlock, which is less than you paid and a lot less than that hoaky wheel spacer shit

you can send me the money i saved you

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Dorman part # 610 - 283 - fits 77-91 chev trucks. 9/16-18 thread, 2 17/32
long, .650 shoulder, 15/16 shoulder length.

Dorman part # 610 - 303 - fits 77-91 chev trucks. 9/16-18 thread, 3 inches
long, .678 shoulder, 15/16 shoulder length

info from Chad

And Dodge/Chevy same in this regard

But don;t the spacers bolt on with the trucks lugs, then have thier own? I'd be leary of using a 1" spacer on just longer studs

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TRD said:

USA6x6.com

65 each for hummer with tube style custom bs
85 each for hummer with plate style custom bs
50 each for the beadlocks

so that is $110 a rim with custom bs and beadlock, which is less than you paid and a lot less than that hoaky wheel spacer shit

you can send me the money i saved you

Hey genious - since Daniel is not down the street from me, you gotta add SHIPPING in there...

from www.usa6x6.com

8 bolt beadlock rim, magnesium, or new "beadlock no runflat", TUBING recenter, and includes S&H** $185

x4 gets you $740.

To re-cap - I have $450 invested now, plus $75 for spacers potentially...

Grasping the concept yet? :p

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BillaVista said:
But don;t the spacers bolt on with the trucks lugs, then have thier own? I'd be leary of using a 1" spacer on just longer studs
These would be just spacers that slide on.

I ran similar ones on my Toyota for some time without a problem - and that was 3/4" with the smaller Toyota sized studs, and only 6 of them... I think it would be ok for a trail only rig.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
DRM said:

Hey genious - since Daniel is not down the street from me, you gotta add SHIPPING in there...

i didn't know you knew my first name :flipoff2:

DRM said:

from www.usa6x6.com

8 bolt beadlock rim, magnesium, or new "beadlock no runflat", TUBING recenter, and includes S&H** $185

x4 gets you $740.

To re-cap - I have $450 invested now, plus $75 for spacers potentially...

Grasping the concept yet? :p
are the ones you have now new?

shipping will be $40 or so - i think, still less that what you are spending (unless your are new)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TRD said:
are the ones you have now new?

shipping will be $40 or so - i think, still less that what you are spending (unless your are new)
You are still confused...

Daniel sells USED military SURPLUS rims, nothing new about them. The only thing new would be O rings, nuts, or his "new" PVC beadlock units.

And what do you think you can ship for $40? Because you sure can;t ship 4 beadlock rims and beadlocks for $40...

Anyway, this is all pretty much irrelevant, just send me the money and call it done already :p

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
you are right

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

old E high gravity HG800 is good for you :flipoff2:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I already said, I do not WANT to re-center the wheels. The front axle is 63.5" wide, the rear is 65" wide. If I re-centered them, I would do all 4 since just doing 2 is dumb IMHO. That would make it wider all around - something I really don't want or need.

Instead, one pair of front spacers gets similar widths front & rear, with no wheel modifications at all.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW - if I really wanted some new centers, I can cut them (or have them cut locally) myself, and building a jig to get them lined up to weld is not that hard either ;)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Hey DRM were are you getting spacers for 75 a pair? I explored this route awhile back and found nothing even close to that price for an 8lug spacer? :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.