Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search both here and on web for this, the only thing I found is the FJ60's axles are 59" from wheel mounting service (WMS) to WMS. Is this correct? Also, anybody know what the measurements are from center of the differential to the WMS on both the passenger side and driver side? I'm trying to figure out the differential offset.

I can't measure the axles myself, as I haven't a 60 yet (soon to be remedied).

Thanks in advance,

Sean

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dieselcruiserhead said:
Check the FAQ http://www.off-road.com/tlc/faq but I believe they are 70 mm wider than a FJ40 for comparison. If you search a little harder this has been discussed extensively here...
The FAQ isn't very specific in regards to the axle dimensions and yes I saw the 70 mm wider reference. Though I could be wrong, but I didn't find the axle width of the 40, let alone the 60's axle. I did find references here at POR about 80 series axles. From what I found they a wider and the rear is more centered then the 60. So far in my search, no one specifically mentioned the 60 series offset measurements. I'll do some more searching though.

Sean

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Hi Sean, I forgot overlord was your handle, welcome to the list...

In any case, can't really help you out. It's out there somewhere I think, but hopefully someone will chime in. What project do you have in mind?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too much free time!

dieselcruiserhead said:
Hi Sean, I forgot overlord was your handle, welcome to the list...

In any case, can't really help you out. It's out there somewhere I think, but hopefully someone will chime in. What project do you have in mind?
I'm looking into putting Unimog portal axles under the "soon to purchase 60." The only problem is the front Mog axle is driver side offset and the rear axle is only slightly offset to the passenger side. I would prefer to sick with the split case and not a NP205 or Atlas, or something else. Thus I would have to get the Mog axles modified.

I have a lot of time to ponder my future 60 modifications while I wait to purchase one.:D :smokin:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
WELL the short side axles are the same, so, the offset to the short side is the same, and the difference is on the long side.
You should be able to figure it out now.
Butch

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
85mm longer

I can give accurate axle specs but it will be no good to you all, as i run full floaters, and the axles are a lot longer :(

best to drop a V8, 5 speed and 205 in that suckah, cheap built and no need to pony up $$$ on mog mods!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Besides, unless you're planning to run MONDO tires, the portal axles will be too low for highway use, defeating many of the key benefits of a 60 series....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
60seriesguy said:
Besides, unless you're planning to run MONDO tires, the portal axles will be too low for highway use, defeating many of the key benefits of a 60 series....
I realize this, but one can always regear. Or go with a hybrid axles. Check out this link:

http://www.exaxt.ca/EXAXT_Axles.htm

I just like the idea of being able to run 37"+ and still have a relatively slow center of gravity. I've been looking into the cost of SO lift and for a few $$$$$ more, I could have mogs put in with coils (probably quite a bit more $$$$:D).

Like a said before, I have way to much free time!:smokin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts